We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Way to bt Muller

11 posts
Way to bt Muller
Save

Hi. Planning to visit mount buller on 16 june. Is it really dangerous to drive up from Mansfield or more advisable to take a bus up. We are in a group of 9 (5 adult and 4 kids)

2 replies to this topic
Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
7,303 posts
107 reviews
58 helpful votes
1. Re: Way to bt Muller
Save

I wouldn't consider driving as I have no experience driving in snow or snowy conditions. And with 9 people, you will need to be driving a bus yourself, which will limit where you can park etc. You will need chains. Will the hire car company allow you to drive with chains? If not, you can't get there because the mountain people won't allow you up there without chains. I would take a tour. Safer and easier.

There's also no guarantee that there will be snow at that time of year, although the ski season will have officially begun (just) and I'd imagine they'd have the snow-making machinery operating.

Edited: 3 years ago
Cradle...
Level Contributor
14,161 posts
251 reviews
239 helpful votes
2. Re: Way to bt Muller
Save

Hi,

As already pointed out by Loki, the official ski season starts on the Queens birthday long weekend, being 9th, 10th & 11th June 2018. With your possible visit being within the official ski season, you will be required to carry chains, and park in one of car parks lower down and shuttle up or walk to the ski areas. And every rental car company terms & conditions I have read you can not put chains on their cars (unless you purchase a snow pack) and many others just refuse to allow you to drive on the snow in their vehicles above the official snow line.

I drive in the snow every year, and I don't have to contend with driving up roads like the road that goes up to Mt Buller, and even the roads I drive on can be tricky, so if I was you I would take the bus trip.

Safe travels - Robert

Reply to: Way to bt Muller
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mansfield
Recent Conversations
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.