We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Mountain - Overnight Stay

malaysia
Level Contributor
63 posts
6 reviews
5 helpful votes
Lake Mountain - Overnight Stay
Save

Plan to stay 1 night at Marysville in middle of july

Shall arrive around 12 noon and visit Lake Mountain

Self-drive to Marysville. Take public transport to lake mountain.

1. any public transport on regular service?

2. road fr melbourne to marysville. do i need to drive on ice ( tyred-chain )? if possible i will try no to drive on ice

5 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
38 reviews
86 helpful votes
1. Re: Lake Mountain - Overnight Stay
Save

Hi Hang, when you coming to Melbourne as it's school holidays from July 1-14th. This means that Lake Mountain 'may' be busy on the weekends. However, I have been watching the webcams and snow reports and there has not been any significant snow on Lake Mountain so it may be very quiet too. They do make fake snow so you might be happy with this as it's fine for playing in and for tobogganing down. See webcams and reports: http://lakemountainresort.com.au/web-cams

Re: public transport. Best you check the Marysville Information website for details on the bus that goes up the mountain. But they don't have baby seats for baby.

Re: road from Melbourne to Marysville. Sorry, I can't answer this but when we've traveled to Marysville in the middle of Winter , there was no snow on the Melb to Marysville route but it WAS wet and very foggy in places. It was both scary and exhilarating at the same time. Pls ensure you turn on your headlights when traveling in your car in Winter.

Geelong...
Level Contributor
382 posts
19 reviews
11 helpful votes
2. Re: Lake Mountain - Overnight Stay
Save

We took a trip to lake mountain from melb last year (August I think) and overnighted in marysville also. There was no ice on the road from melb-marysville, and even from marysville to lake mountain we did not need chains. Unless it is a very heavy snow time I wouldn't discount the chance of maybe driving all the way up there. Much easier than public transport (details of which I can't help you with, sorry!).

malaysia
Level Contributor
63 posts
6 reviews
5 helpful votes
3. Re: Lake Mountain - Overnight Stay
Save

thanks both

Any idea of getting day tour fr melbourne ?

it seem that every tour agencies promoting Mt. Buller ( each tour last for 13 Hours )

No one emphasis on Lake Mountain.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
38 reviews
86 helpful votes
4. Re: Lake Mountain - Overnight Stay
Save

If you are concerned about driving into Marysville, then another option is to stay in Healesville.

Self drive to Healesville from Melbourne (about 1 hour on flat, sealed roads). Stay in Healesville and then take the Lake Mountain Snowbus up to Lake Mountain. This mini bus runs from Healesville to Marysville during snow season. see lakemountainsnowbus.com or lakemountainresort.com.au. This trip would take about 50 mins,

But if you can, staying in Marysville would be better as your patronage would support the bushfire affected community. Plus it is a much nicer than Healesville but I do understand your concerns regarding driving up the windy road, especially as a tourist.

Hope this helps.

malaysia
Level Contributor
63 posts
6 reviews
5 helpful votes
5. Re: Lake Mountain - Overnight Stay
Save

A good suggestion. Will consider it.

As i am from tropical country , i don't like the idea of driving on ice.

Thanks alot

Reply to: Lake Mountain - Overnight Stay
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Marysville
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.