We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to wear in Nashville

Which Nashville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, Scotland UK
Level Contributor
28 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
What to wear in Nashville

We are off to Nasville next week - Volcano allowing - and I know that the weather can be quite changeable at this time of the year. But we wondered if the dress code is mainly casual or if are there places that would require a more "dressy code", and if so can anyone suggest any?

We are thinking of going on the General Jackson for a birthday celebration, would this be a casual affair or would we look out of place dressy?

US
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
3,080 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to wear in Nashville

The weather is a little changeable in late April but not greatly so. If you have a jacket or sweater "just in case" you should be fine.

As for dress code, it is a fairly casual town. In the tourist areas that's definitely the case. What that really means is that you'll see a variety of dress in a single venue most of the time. If I go to my favorite upscale bar/restaurant, I'll see men in suits and women in slinky cocktail/club dresses as well as people in jeans and tshirts. Basically, at places you'd expect people to dress up, some do, but some wear casual or semi-casual (or business casual) everywhere. There may be a few restaurants in town that have a dress requirement (i.e., men must wear jackets, etc.) but off the top of my head I don't know of any.

As for the General Jackson, I think it will be one of those places where you'll see a mix. I wouldn't go so far as a suit and tie, but if you want to dress up a bit, you should be fine. Same for some of the nicer restaurants in town. Yes, you'll see people slouch in in jeans or even shorts, but you'll also be in good company if you choose to dress a little better.

If you are interested in going somewhere where *most* people will be dressed up, and which merit a "special occasion" experience, look to the higher-end restaurants: Capital Grille, City House, Flyte, Lime, Miro District, The Standard, Watermark, Margo. To some degree also Germantown Cafe, Boundr'y, Allium, Margot, Eastland Cafe, Mad Platter, Midtown Cafe, Cabana, Sunset Grill, Virago, 1808 Grille, Yellow Porch. (Some of this last group are treated as "neighborhood restaurants" by those in the area, so you'll see more of a mix of dress.) There are also some steakhouses (all national chains) that would be happy to see you in your finest: Morton's, Ruth's Chris, Fleming's, The Palm. If any place in town has a dress requirement, it would probably be these steak places.

Hope your trip works out! I have a friend stuck in Hungary right now ...

Edited: 17 April 2010, 11:01
Glasgow, Scotland UK
Level Contributor
28 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to wear in Nashville

Hi, TFerrell,

Thank you so much for your advice. I had an idea that it would probably be a mixed affair and as long as we don't look out of place we'll be happy. I will look into the places you have suggested. A great help, thank you.

3. Re: What to wear in Nashville

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2010, 01:23
Get answers to your questions about Nashville