We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time - planning March with kids

b s
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Topic
First time - planning March with kids

We are planning a trip with the kids (ages 5 and 8) for the week of March 11- 18. This will be our first time. I have read several posts in this forum and finding it very overwhelming.

Any suggestions on best places to take the kids?

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time - planning March with kids

The average temperaures in March are 61 and 33. Colder up in the mountains in the park. I've not been to the park that early in the spring, go to their Facebook page and scroll back.

Dollywood opens on March 18 (closed on Tuesdays); see the calendar page at their site for hours.

They would enjoy the aquarium at Gatlinburg.

Maybe a dinner show like the Dixie Stampede in PF.

I'm not sure if they are too young for WonderWorks.

Lots of miniature golf in PF, but it might be too chilly.

The Island in Pigeon Forge shopping center has rides for kids, including a HUGE ferris wheel, but they charge.

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
11,751 posts
3,091 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time - planning March with kids

goto Visit My Smokies

March 11- 18 is a really nice time to visit Sevier County and the GSMNP.

Three small towns: Sevierville, Pigeon Forge, and Gatlinburg.

There will not be the hordes of summer or October.

Your children will love Sevier County

At ages 5-8, let them on selected web sites, and they might have certain preferences. You have made a great decision.

b s
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First time - planning March with kids

Thank you both for all the info you gave me.

You have given me lots to look through and I am getting very excited!

I think we will definitely be going to the Dixie Stampede, Aquarium, Wonder Works and the parks.

I didn't realize that there is so much to do there.

Level Contributor
130 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time - planning March with kids

Maybe also check out Deer Farm Petting Zoo. You can feed the goats and camels. My 2 year old loved it when we went last year. They also do pony rides for the smaller ones. March would be a great time to go since it's not too hot yet.

b s
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First time - planning March with kids

Thank you! My daughter will love that!

Level Contributor
124 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time - planning March with kids

I'm taking my grandkids (ages 6 and 7) later this week for their first trip but I frequently go and absolutely love the area. We are planning on the aquarium, Dixie Stampede (if it's open--I haven't confirmed yet), a short hike (probably out of Sugarlands Visitor Center (which has lots of neat displays, and hoping to do a little sledding at the CLOSED (for the winter) road to Clingman's Dome. If your little ones can make it, a great trail is Porter's Creek Trail. It's a fairly level path with some historical remnants of structures and some restored structures at about a mile in. If you can get a copy at the visitor's center of the "History Hikes" book ($10??), it will make the hike even better. In March, the wildflowers should be starting to show in some areas. If Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail is open, that's a very nice drive back through the park with some historic structures to see and almost entirely next to rushing water. It's right out of downtown Gatlinburg on Cherokee Orchard Rd. Speaking of drives, Cades Cove is also a nice place to drive and see beautiful landscapes, wildlife (lots of bears in that area), and historic structures. There is a nice visitors center there as well that is worth a stop. Definitely check the park calendars for ranger talks. There is a Junior Ranger program available that your kids might find fun.

Hope this rambling paragraph helps!

b s
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First time - planning March with kids

Thank you for the info!

I will definitely have to check out those places and think it will be something that my children will enjoy doing.

I'm already getting excited.!

I've been hearing and reading that anytime of the year is nice to go and visit the mountains.

Have a great trip with your grand kids!

Level Contributor
83 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time - planning March with kids

We have been taking our son since he was 5 to Gatlinburg and he absolutely loves it!

His favorite things to do:

Eating at the Old Mill in Pigeon Forge and walking down to the water and feeding ducks afterwards

Comedy Barn in Pigeon Forge

Sugarlands Visitors Center (to see all the stuffed animals and watch the short film about the park for the 100th time)

Cades Cove in hopes to see wildlife!

Waterfall Hikes (Grotto falls on Roaring Fork)

And walking the strip in Gatlinburg of course!

We will be down in April for spring break. Enjoy the mountains and have a great time!

9. Re: First time - planning March with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 January 2018, 00:15
Get answers to your questions about Sevierville