We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how to pronounce Sevierville

Indianapolis, IN
Level Contributor
121 posts
29 reviews
how to pronounce Sevierville

I just came back from Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area and spent some time in Sevierville, and something that has been bugging me is that I don't know how to correctly pronounce Sevierville.

I've tried calling it "SI-verville" (like rhymes with Cyberville,) but then I heard others calling it "SEE-verville." But others seemed to pronounce it "Severe-ville". When I came home, someone else pronounced it "Se-verville, (like "seven").

Can anyone tell me how to pronounce it?

Thank you!

taylorsmommi
Level Contributor
663 posts
23 reviews
1. Re: how to pronounce Sevierville

SEVERE-ville is what I have always heard on the news and locally... the other ways just sound wrong...

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
4,105 posts
432 reviews
2. Re: how to pronounce Sevierville

East Tennesseans would actually say SEVERE-vul.

Delaware
Destination Expert
for Rehoboth Beach
Level Contributor
2,285 posts
1,476 reviews
3. Re: how to pronounce Sevierville

I have heard both severe-ville and severe-vull.

I have heard severe-vull from family that lived in Eastern TN. All the area towns that ended in "ville"....were pronoucned "vull" near my Mom's house in Bristol.

I always called it severe-ville, myself being from the east coast...

Hope this helps

taylorsmommi
Level Contributor
663 posts
23 reviews
4. Re: how to pronounce Sevierville

It depends on your accent.. The beginning is definately "Severe" but yes, locals with that tennessee accent like my wonderful neighbor Bill, say that last part "Vul" :)

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,817 posts
21 reviews
5. Re: how to pronounce Sevierville

taylorsmommi has it the way I've always heard the locals pronounce it:

severe-vul

On my very first trip to PF, I was teased pretty bad by a local guy at a gas station for calling Sevierville "Seever-vil". He laughed with another guy, saying "Gee, Bill, you got any idea where Seever-vil is?" Haha.

I was lost, and since agreed to show me the way to the cabin rental company I was looking for, I took the teasing with a forced smile.

I never made THAT mistake again, though. LOL!

taylorsmommi
Level Contributor
663 posts
23 reviews
6. Re: how to pronounce Sevierville

That's too funny... I am originally from Long Island where we have towns called Patchogue and aquebogue and mattituck, hauppague.... you should hear people trying to pronounce those!!!!

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: how to pronounce Sevierville

LOL taylorsmommi. I can do the Hauppauge only because I like computer products of the company with the same name.

I always pronounced it: Sah-'veer-ville

Bob

Indianapolis, IN
Level Contributor
121 posts
29 reviews
8. Re: how to pronounce Sevierville

Thanks so much! I always hate to fumble over names!

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
9. Re: how to pronounce Sevierville

I would offer my pronounciation, but it is unlikely to be helpful as I pronounce La Fayette the original way and my father and my father and I were joking on the way through Lenior City today, calling it Ville Lenior (Veellenwa).

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
10. Re: how to pronounce Sevierville

Suh-VEER-vull

Get answers to your questions about Sevierville
Recent Conversations