My boyfriend and I are renting a cabin in Sevierville at the end of August. This is our first time in TN and first time visiting the Smoky Mountains! I have a few questions that I hope you guys can help me with (:
1. Whats the nearest waterfall trail? Trying to go to one with no more than 3.5 miles roundtrip. Any you can think of that won't be too far of a drive to get to?
2. Is there any restaurant nearby that serves chicken and waffles? Also, wheres the best place to eat BBQ?
3. We're going Sat 8/20-Weds 8/24. While hiking in the mountains, how should we dress? Shorts and a tank? Or capris and t-shirts? Should we bring extra layers? I'm guessing it's cooler in the mountains but am unsure how cool.
4. Is it worth it to take the drive all the way from our Sevierville cabin to the sugarland visitor center to begin our drive on Newfound Gap Road? (Mapquest estimated a 50 minute drive.. although I did check at 12:30 pm when traffic was heavy.. and we'd actually be doing this drive around 6:30-7 am). We'd like to hike Andrew's Bald, turn around on Newfound Gap Road, picnic, fish at Little Pigeon River, and drive back to the cabin. Is the drive to sugarland visitor center scenic? If so, we wouldn't mind at all.
5. Any other trails you would recommend? Looking to hike no more than 6.5 miles roundtrip easy or moderate in difficulty, but we're open to hiking multiple trails (just 6.5 miles altogether round trip)... hope that makes sense. We're looking for breathtaking views, however we are novice hikers.
6. Any good non-touristy bars for us to go to to grab a beer? We're both 24 years old but we like small, local bars (not a club).
7. Any other places for us to go to, any other suggestions, or any other sights to see? We want to stay away from touristy activities (no zip lining, Ripleys, etc). The more likely locals would be doing it... the better! Also, the less crowded and more secluded ...the better!
Thanks in advance!! (: