We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timers!

Level Contributor
29 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
First timers!

Hey everyone!

My boyfriend and I are renting a cabin in Sevierville at the end of August. This is our first time in TN and first time visiting the Smoky Mountains! I have a few questions that I hope you guys can help me with (:

1. Whats the nearest waterfall trail? Trying to go to one with no more than 3.5 miles roundtrip. Any you can think of that won't be too far of a drive to get to?

2. Is there any restaurant nearby that serves chicken and waffles? Also, wheres the best place to eat BBQ?

3. We're going Sat 8/20-Weds 8/24. While hiking in the mountains, how should we dress? Shorts and a tank? Or capris and t-shirts? Should we bring extra layers? I'm guessing it's cooler in the mountains but am unsure how cool.

4. Is it worth it to take the drive all the way from our Sevierville cabin to the sugarland visitor center to begin our drive on Newfound Gap Road? (Mapquest estimated a 50 minute drive.. although I did check at 12:30 pm when traffic was heavy.. and we'd actually be doing this drive around 6:30-7 am). We'd like to hike Andrew's Bald, turn around on Newfound Gap Road, picnic, fish at Little Pigeon River, and drive back to the cabin. Is the drive to sugarland visitor center scenic? If so, we wouldn't mind at all.

5. Any other trails you would recommend? Looking to hike no more than 6.5 miles roundtrip easy or moderate in difficulty, but we're open to hiking multiple trails (just 6.5 miles altogether round trip)... hope that makes sense. We're looking for breathtaking views, however we are novice hikers.

6. Any good non-touristy bars for us to go to to grab a beer? We're both 24 years old but we like small, local bars (not a club).

7. Any other places for us to go to, any other suggestions, or any other sights to see? We want to stay away from touristy activities (no zip lining, Ripleys, etc). The more likely locals would be doing it... the better! Also, the less crowded and more secluded ...the better!

Thanks in advance!! (:

-Sara

Mentioned in this post
Sevierville
Sevierville
Sevier County, TN
Newfound Gap Road
Newfound Gap Road
648 Reviews
Great Smoky Mountains National Park, TN
Pigeon River Inn
Pigeon River Inn
307 Reviews
Pigeon Forge, TN
Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Sevierville, Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Level Contributor
5,145 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First timers!

I like Laurel Falls the best. There is also some on Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail and a few other ones in the park. I don't do a lot of hiking anymore so other's may chime in on that.

https:/…waterfalls.htm

http://www.hikinginthesmokys.com/feature.htm

I like Bennett's BBQ in Gatlinburg. Applewood Farmhouse has good chicken and waffles. Sawyer's Farmhouse also serves it.

I would recommend stopping at Sugarlands Vistors Center before you do anything in the park. They have some helpful info and free maps and such that you will need. Wear what is comfortable to you hiking and you may want to bring an extra pair of clothes to keep in the car just in case.

Three Jimmy's is a awesome local bar in Gatlinburg and we also like The Shamrock Pub.

One of our favorite places to stop and have a beer is Friendly Falls on Wears Valley Rd. There is a beautiful waterfall behind the wood fence so you will have to stop to see it.

You might enjoy the Greenbriar section of the park on 321 East Parkway. It's not as crowded as other areas in the park.

If you do decide to do some touristy things then go to The Island in Pigeon Forge. It's nice and has a Paula Deen restaurant and also Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville restaurant and bar.

Checking out the river tubing in Townsend. It's a lot of fun on a hot day. Have fun and enjoy your time in the mountains.

Mentioned in this post
Laurel Falls
Laurel Falls
1,195 Reviews
Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail
Roaring Fork Motor...
1,428 Reviews
Gatlinburg
Gatlinburg
Sevier County, TN
Applewood Farmhouse Restaurant
Applewood Farmhouse...
4,866 Reviews
Sevierville, TN
Friendly Falls
Friendly Falls
324 Reviews
Wears Valley, TN
The Island in Pigeon Forge
The Island in Pigeon...
8,394 Reviews
Pigeon Forge, TN
Townsend
Townsend
Tennessee
Kentucky
Level Contributor
866 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First timers!

You may want to check out the Great Smoky Mountains Association website and order a starter information package with maps and other info. The cost is $5 and shipping. You should have enough time to get the info before your trip. Hope you will enjoy your trip and post a trip report.

smokiesinformation.org/shop/smokies-starter-…

Mentioned in this post
Bedford, Indiana
Level Contributor
6,242 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First timers!

Check with the Pigeon Forge Camber of Commerce online.

They used to have a free info packet with all the info you could want, they probably still do.

Mentioned in this post
Pigeon Forge
Pigeon Forge
Sevier County, TN
Canada
Level Contributor
166 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First timers!

tn vacation .com has a really nice magazine style book you can order online that is free.

Delaware
Destination Expert
for Rehoboth Beach
Level Contributor
2,265 posts
1,399 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First timers!

1. Whats the nearest waterfall trail? I think your best waterfalls trails are going to be in the GSMNP. A nice trail is Laurel Falls, not too long and not too short. IF you want short & easy, consider Catract Falls behind the Sugarlands Visitor Center. The Sinks requires no hiking. Also there is a small "waterfall" at Friendly Falls restaurant in Sevierville.

2. Is there any restaurant nearby that serves chicken and waffles? First place that comes to mind is Paula Deen's Family Restaurant at the Island. I'm not a big fan, but it is an option. >>Also, wheres the best place to eat BBQ? My favorite is Hungry Bear BBQ #2 in Gatlinburg.

3. While hiking in the mountains, how should we dress? I would wear shorts/capri's and a t-shirt. You can always wear layers, such as a long sleeve flannel & remove it IF you get hot. Wear sneakers.

4. Is it worth it to take the drive all the way from our Sevierville cabin to the sugarland visitor center to begin our drive on Newfound Gap Road? YES it is worth it.

5. Any other trails you would recommend? Mingus Mill in Cherokee. The Deep Creek Trail in Bryson City, NC as it has 3 waterfalls on ONE easy trail. You can tube here and swim in the creek next to Tom Branch Falls. I also like the hike from Metcalf Bottoms picnic area to the Little Greenbrier Schoolhouse and on to the Walker Sisters Cabin. The Noah "Bud" Ogle Trail on Cherokee Orchard Rd is decent.

6. Any good non-touristy bars for us to go to to grab a beer? Sorry, I'm not much help here, but maybe try Smoky Mountain Brewery.

7. Any other places for us to go to, any other suggestions, or any other sights to see? I would recommend Tinsley Bible Drug in Dandridge for a burger/fries/shake. Also check out the Bush Beans Visitor Center in Dandridge. Our Place in Cosby has great coffee & TONS of used books for sale. Carver's Orchard in Cosby has a nice farm market and great restaurant with awesome food. The Mason Jar Café in Sevierville has good home style food. Check out the Harrisburg Covered Bridge in Sevierville. Circle G Ranch in Strawberry Plains has a unique camel ride safari although it has been YEARS since I visited last. FREE Little River Railroad & Lumber Museum in Townsend is neat (check the hours because they are limited).

Hope this helps!

Mentioned in this post
Laurel Falls
Laurel Falls
1,195 Reviews
The Sinks
The Sinks
135 Reviews
Friendly Falls
Friendly Falls
324 Reviews
Wears Valley, TN
Sevierville
Sevierville
Sevier County, TN
Gatlinburg
Gatlinburg
Sevier County, TN
Newfound Gap Road
Newfound Gap Road
648 Reviews
Mingus Mill
Mingus Mill
167 Reviews
Great Smoky Mountains National Park, NC
Cherokee
Cherokee
North Carolina Mountains, NC
Bryson City
Bryson City
North Carolina Mountains, NC
Metcalf Bottoms Picnic Area
Metcalf Bottoms Picnic...
114 Reviews
Smoky Mountain Brewery
Smoky Mountain Brewery
4,835 Reviews
Gatlinburg, TN
Dandridge
Dandridge
Tennessee
Harrisburg Covered Bridge
Harrisburg Covered Bridge
258 Reviews
Sevierville, TN
Townsend
Townsend
Tennessee
Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
13,096 posts
3,232 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First timers!

We have always found Goldrushie's advice to be 100% solid.

Yes, do visit the GSMNP.

Nearly 100% of your time is being spent with other tourists - do re-visit Nov - April for a totally wonderful experience.

Slainte

7. Re: First timers!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 August 2017, 20:18
Get answers to your questions about Sevierville
Recent Conversations