We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hill Country Trip Report - Fredericksburg RV Park

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
5,043 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Hill Country Trip Report - Fredericksburg RV Park

We decided Fredericksburg would be a good place to have a home base for a few days and chose this RV park based on all the reviews. It is everything promised and more. Very well run and clean, though a little more crowded than I prefer, we aren't here much. Level, gravel lots with full hook-ups, trees, clean shower room, on sight laundry, cable TV, a small fenced pet area, free ice and close to town....all features we were looking for.

Day one, we rode our bicycles to town and walked them up one side of main street, stopping in stores that look interesting, which is just about all of them. We were working our way over to the Farmer's Market to buy a few supplies. At 4 pm on the dot, they rang the bell and it was on. Hubby got his pocket knife sharpened by one vendor while I tried a salad prepared by the guest chef. Lovely, organic produced was the hit of the market, maintaining a long line the entire time we were there. Very cool little market.

We rode some more, getting our bearings, and finally went back to the RV, prepared a little dinner, watched American Idol on our new cable TV service, and turned in early. Tomorrow would be an early day filled with sight seeing.

After breakfast, we unhooked the Jeep and drove out to Wildseed Farms. What a fun place to go for a gardener like myself. Tons of pots and plants plus a cool, little cafe (we had the BBQ special, which was delicious), and a wine tasting. We really enjoyed the Texas wines!

Moving on east on 290, we turned off on Old San Antonio road heading to Lukenbach. We are Jerry Jeff Walker fans and have always wanted to get a glimpse of the old dance hall where he recorded one of his albumns. They were having a motorcycle rally so there was quite a bit going on, but we just toured the post office and dance hall, took a few pictures and left. Very fun place.

Back to 290, we headed toward the LBJ Ranch National Park. It was a little confusing, but here's what we figured out finally. You drive to Ranch Road 1 and follow the signs, through the LBJ State Park, saying LBJ Ranch tour. It is about 5 miles until you reach the ranch. The tour is a self-driven tour, not a bus tour as we thought, so once you reach the old school house then cross the cattle guards, you are on the tour. The family cemetery on the left is where LBJ, Lady Bird, and other members of the Johnson family are buried. We drove, 8 miles or more, before reaching the Texas White House. Definitely take the paid, guided tour. It is only $2 and well worth it. As we were leaving (you get to take a short cut) we noticed a box with a sign that said 'leave your audio headsets here'. Hmmmmm, we weren't offered that choice, which we would have taken, so you might call and inquire WHERE these are and get one. It will make your self guided drive a lot more enjoyable.

We stopped at a few antique stores and shopped, checked out some cool metal work at a shop along 290, and admired more of the beautiful entrances to ranches. Wow, between the fences and entrances, these must have cost a fortune!

We were going to visit the Old Tunnel Wildlife Management Area to see the bats, but our timing was off. They were "scheduled" to leave at 7:45 pm (you can call a number to find out the approximate time) and it was only 4:00 pm, so we decided to call it a day, check on our dog, go get a few supplies at the HEB store (fabulous!), cook dinner, and watch a movie. We'll go see the bat tornado another time:)

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hill Country Trip Report - Fredericksburg RV Park

Great report! Thanks for posting it.

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
5,043 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hill Country Trip Report - Fredericksburg RV Park

Thanks, I like to share trip reports, but also they become a record of our trips. I print them, then label and file them so we can remember exactly what we did. Good reference for others as well.

Day 3 we decide to stay in town, shop a little, and go to the Nimitz World War II in the Pacific museum. Wow!!!! Having just gotten home from a month in Hawaii and spending considerable time going to the historical sites on Oahu and Pearl Harbor, I've got to say, this place rocks! What a complete and detailed, chronological trip down memory lane this very fine museum takes visitors. Tickets are $12, but are good for 48 hours. After several hours of reading, watching old news clips, and looking at artifacts, we decided to take a lunch break.

Off to Der Lindenbaum we went about 2:00 pm thinking we'd be able to walk right in and sit right down. Wrong!!! There was only one huge table that was open so we opted to share it with a young couple who had been waiting for a table to open up. We felt quite European sharing a table with complete strangers and enjoyed their company very much. DH and I shared a (3) sausage plate, German potato salad, homemade sauerkraut, and rye bread. With the help of that yummy German style mustard we were quite taken with during a previous trip to Berlin, those delicious sausages took us right back to the many wonderful meals we ate in Germany. We both loved the sauerkraut, but did not care for the, too sweet, potato salad at all. The service was good and atmosphere nice. They do not take MasterCard or VISA so be sure to have cash or a check.

After eating, we decided to call it a day, watched the OKC Thunder play off game on our cable at the motorhome, snacked, took another long walk, and turned in early again. I could get used to this motorhome thing....

Edited: 10 May 2011, 14:12
Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
5,043 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hill Country Trip Report - Fredericksburg RV Park

Day 4, Mothers Day, we decided to go hike Enchanted Rock. Even though we started early and took water, it still got hot and I overheated a little. It was about 4.5 mikes around the base with little shade and some breeze. We stopped and rested frequently for the dog's sake (yea right) and ate lunch so it took nearly 3 hours. The terrain was easy and I would recommend this hike with this caution...go early and take more water than you think you'll need. All in all, we enjoed it very much and the views were spectacular. I do wish we had hiked to the summit as well, but it wasn't to be this trip.

That evening, DH took me to The Auslander Restaurant and Biergarten for dinner. It had been highly recommended by some dear friends and we weren't disappointed. DH had the sausage platter and I had the rouladen. Mine was delicious; his was just OK. The sauerkraut was out of the can, but the German potato salad was delicious. Meals are served with either a Caesar salad or tossed salad. Both were good. The hit of the day were the homemade yeast rolls. Odd for a German place, but delicious, none the less. The service and ambiance were spectacular!

We watched our new favorite (since we've watched all of 24) DVD series, Friday Night Lights and took another long walk around the campground. We were all tired, but agreed (even the dog) that it had been a fabulous day.

Edited: 10 May 2011, 14:59
Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
5,043 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hill Country Trip Report - Fredericksburg RV Park

Day 5 was interesting and I'm going to have to reflect a little before I'm able to put all that happened into words. The short version is we went back to the Nimitz Museum, Combat Zone and Bush sections. It was an emotional and powerful day of reflection for me. Our guide was an 87-year old double bronze star medal recipient. My late father was a POW and bronze star medal recipient, who would be 87 if he were still alive. It was very difficult, emotionally, being in his presence. Highly recommend this part of the museum, especially if they are doing the reenactment. Awesome military vehicles, guns, a PT boat, and a life-size TBM Avenger, the plane George H. W. Bush flew missions and was shot down in. Very cool stuff.

We finished up the rest of the Pacific war museum, culminating in the dropping of the atom bomb on Hiroshima. A poignant thing happened at the end of this tour. During the signing of the treaty aboard the USS Missouri news reel, a woman of Japanese descent sat down near me. We were the only 2 people in this section. She was wiping tears with a handkerchief, most likely because of family members who had been involved. And me, the daughter of an American war hero sitting just feet away, tears in my eyes for completely different reasons....polar opposites, yet brought together at this place in this time. It was amazing!

Edited: 10 May 2011, 15:21
Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
5,043 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hill Country Trip Report - Fredericksburg RV Park

Day 6 Went to the very fun General Store and Dooleys 5 & 10 to pick up some old fashioned toys for the grandkids. I also found a cute, red, enamelware tea pot for the motor home, I'd love to have the full set it's so adorable and reminds me of my "Little House on the Prairie" period when I would read the Laura Ingalls Wilder books and pretend I was one of the characters. That's what going to these kinds of stores does for me...takes me back to my childhood. Such fun reminiscing.....

Made a lunch stop at the Auslander Restaurant. This time to try their reuben sandwiches. I'm here to report they were delicious. The corned beef was tender and well seasoned and the pumpernickel bread was unbelievably delicious. Service and ambiance were, again, fantastic. Something else...they keep the dining room refreshingly cool on hot days, unlike some other places we visited. I would highly recommend it.

After a bit more shopping and tasting at Rustlin' Robs (super fun place), we headed back to the motor home to check on the dog and start preparing for breaking camp the next day. Very fun day!

Day 7 Laundry, cleaning house, breaking camp...we're outta there by 11:00 am heading to our next campground, Cedar Hill State Park just south of Dallas. Stopped in Hico at the Koffee Kup Kafe for their famous chicken fried steak. It was our second time eating here so we know to split one this time. Good idea! On a whim, while I am in the ladies room, DH ordered the broccoli cheese soup instead of a salad. Really??!! We're not going off the deep end enough by eating here in the first place, we're going to order a creamy, cheesy soup instead of the only healthy thing we would be eating during this meal? Well, let me tell you, it was a brilliant choice! I now crave that delicious, chunky, homemade broccoli cheese soup. I dipped their scrumptious yeast rolls in it instead of using a spoon and I swear my eyes rolled back in my head. Yes, it's just THAT good!

Our GPS got us lost going to Cedar Hill State Park, which happens all the time, and we ended up on a road we couldn't turn around on. I called the park and they sent someone all the way down to open the gate for us. We were very appreciative. Just call ahead and get directions.

CHSP is another great Texas State Park! Level concrete pads and water and electric with nice picnic tables at each campsite are great. Their bath house and showers, not so much. We opted to shower in our motor home. Check in was a breeze. We get several TV stations here at our camp site by the lake so I'm happy to report we'll get to watch American Idol and the OKC Thunder game tonight in the comfort of our own motor home while eating my own special Amish popcorn I make on the stove in a Whirley Pop pop corn maker. It just doesn't get better than that!

Tomorrow, we'll be checking out and heading home. Refreshed, revitalized and ready to get back to the real world. It's been a fabulous trip.

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,890 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hill Country Trip Report - Fredericksburg RV Park

Thanks so much for posting such interesting and detailed reports! Sounds like you had a great time and took advantage of some fun opportunities that sometimes get missed.

If you get a chance, please save your post to the trip reports section on the Texas forum page.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hill Country Trip Report - Fredericksburg RV Park

Bips, I just love your trip reports here and on the Hawaii forums! Your enthusiasm for the Big Island makes me even more excited for our first visit there in September. Thanks for posting.

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
5,043 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hill Country Trip Report - Fredericksburg RV Park

Will do, poodleone.

Me Ted, I'm so happy you are getting to visit my beautiful island in September. So happy you enjoy my trip reports. If you have any questions, pm me. I'm not sounding much time on the Hawaii boards right now, between taking care of my elderly mother and traveling with my newly retired hubby, my time seems to be taken.

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma, Grove
Level Contributor
5,043 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hill Country Trip Report - Fredericksburg RV Park

Here is the National Museum of the Pacific War, Combat Zone schedule. Combat Zone features reenactments:

May 28, 29

June 18, 19

July 2, 3

September 3, 4

October 1, 2

Nivember 12, 13

December 3, 4

10. Re: Hill Country Trip Report - Fredericksburg RV Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2012, 14:20