We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Football Championships

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Spokane
Level Contributor
3,558 posts
114 reviews
76 helpful votes
Football Championships

Coming down Jan. 5th, never been here before. Suggestions for golf and BBQ. Anything else to check out in the near vicinty? (but not really looking to do much sightseeing)

Looks like Embassy and Hampton (hilton) close by for accomodation.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
33 helpful votes
1. Re: Football Championships

What FB championships are going to be in Frisco on 1/5/11. You lost me.

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
59 reviews
29 helpful votes
2. Re: Football Championships

axle, The Superbowl.

k2kelley - You've posted this on the Frisco board (north of Dallas), but the game is in Arlington (west of Dallas), about an hour away. I'm confused on 1) where you're staying and 2) if you're asking for recs around Frisco or Arlington or somewhere betwixt. A little more info please......

Edited: 20 December 2010, 19:11
Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,714 posts
204 reviews
303 helpful votes
3. Re: Football Championships

The Super Bowl is Sunday, 2/6. I'm curious, too. What championship?

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Spokane
Level Contributor
3,558 posts
114 reviews
76 helpful votes
4. Re: Football Championships

Coming on 5th, game on 7th at Pizza Hut Park in Frisco

EWU VS Delaware

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
6,193 posts
131 reviews
88 helpful votes
5. Re: Football Championships

Looks like this is what k2kelley is talking about

"INDIANAPOLIS - Frisco, Texas, has been selected as the new host site for the NCAA Division I Football Championship game. Frisco emerged from a pool of several cities that submitted bids to serve as the host site for the championship game for the next three years, beginning with the 2010 season. Hosted by the Southland Conference, the championship game will be played at Pizza Hut Park on Jan. 7, 2011."

…dallasnews.com/archives/2010/02/football-ch…

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
6,193 posts
131 reviews
88 helpful votes
6. Re: Football Championships

The good thing about Pizza Hut Park is you aren't just limited to Frisco. You can also consider staying in Plano, even Richardson if necessary.

In Frisco there is also a Sheraton, Aloft and Westin.

If you look along the North Dallas Tollway and the Bush Tollway (190), just south of Frisco, in Plano, you will see HIE, Aloft, Extended Stay, Homestead, Residence Inn, Comfort- pretty much any chain that you want.

The only golf course I am familiar with is the Westin Resort and my DH says it is great. The other two in Frisco proper are The Trails and Plantation. Frisco is very much known for sports since it has minor league baseball as well as hockey and a world class cycling venue.

You might post in the Plano and/or Dallas forum to get a little more action on your questions. Frisco doesn't get alot of forum traffic.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,654 posts
43 reviews
52 helpful votes
7. Re: Football Championships

Embassy Suites and Hampton Inn are both good choices for hotels. The Embassy Suites is right next door to Pizza Hut Park. Many other choices as poodleone mentioned, but these two will have you within walking distance.

The Christmas on the Square lights display in Frisco will still be going on until Jan. 8. http://www.friscosquare.com/CITS2010

There is lots of shopping in the area. Stonebriar Centre is right there, and the Shops at Legacy are close also. http://www.shopsatlegacy.com/

There are many restaurants to choose from in the area also. There is a Randy White's BBQ on Preston Road. I've only eaten there once, but it was pretty good. http://www.randywhitesbbq.com/index.htm

I really like Red Hot and Blue for BBQ, but that is about 15 minutes or so away in Plano.

For Tex Mex, I highly recommend La Hacienda. lahaciendaranch.com/lahaciendaranch/home.htm

There is also a Mi Cocina in the Shops at Legacy which is very good.

The Plantation Resort is the only public golf course that I can think of right now. I'm sure there are others, but I'm not a golfer so I can't help much with that.

Edited: 20 December 2010, 21:49
8. Re: Football Championships

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2011, 01:17