We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greune Mansion / Hall

1 post
1 review
Greune Mansion / Hall

Hi, I hope this doesn't sound like a daft question!

We are visiting New Braunfels from the UK. We're thinking of staying at Greune Mansion & I'd welcome any views on that.

The one night we're there, there's no live music scheduled at Greune Hall. Will it still be open just as a bar please? Are there any other restaurants/ bars within walking distance.

Any tips appreciated - thank you!

7 replies to this topic
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
2,638 posts
1. Re: Greune Mansion / Hall

When are you visiting? I’m wondering if you meant that there’s not a big name concert on your date(s)? Generally the hall is open and has smaller, local acts (not famous) performing when there is not a big name concert. Honestly I’m not sure about weekdays. Have you tried emailing? Maybe someone more local can respond.

As for where to eat, the Gristmill!

There are other good places in New Braunfels if that doesn’t do the trick. I can personally recommend Macadoo’s in the old post office (seafood) or the Huisache grill

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
12,283 posts
554 reviews
332 helpful votes
2. Re: Greune Mansion / Hall

We like the Gristmill as well; sometimes they have live music. You could check their events page and see if anything is happening when you're visiting. If not, it's still worth a visit. Also like Huisache Grill.

London
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
4 helpful votes
3. Re: Greune Mansion / Hall

Ah thank you - there wasn't an act scheduled on their calendar for the weeknight in September we're there, but good to know there are local acts too. We'd like that just as much!

London
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
4 helpful votes
4. Re: Greune Mansion / Hall

Thank you very much - my wife & I will check out those restaurant recommendations

Lockhart, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
5,626 posts
17 reviews
34 helpful votes
5. Re: Greune Mansion / Hall

By September, likely every evening will have an act scheduled. I think the weekends are announced now. You can see almost all these people on YouTube, if you making choices. Most of the acts so far are pretty country. Austin Meade is a rocker, and a pretty good one. Van Wilks is a prolific and internationally known blues veteran. Interesting things can pop in at the last minute.

This year Gruene Hall was nominated as Best Club of the Year by the Academy of Country Music. When I was in high school, Gruene was a ghost town or dilapidated buildings. Could have bought the whole mess for probably $20,000. The Hall opened somewhat regularly. But Gruene was, for us, just a place you passed through on the way to our teen join, the Freak Out Inn. Last time I saw that place, it was just some concrete blocks in a field.

There is river tubing right there in Gruene. More in New Braunfels. If it stays hot (and it will) thr river is going to be very busy. My choice is the more relaxed San Marcos River inside the City of San Marcos, a few miles south of Gruene. River rises from a spring lake in town. It's an easy float down to where the city repurposed an old low head dam to three white water chutes.

Texas Monthly article on Gruene. They usually do a good job.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/travel/gruene-texas-travel-guide-tubing/

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
9,312 posts
70 reviews
110 helpful votes
6. Re: Greune Mansion / Hall

Mozies is another quality choice for casual dining. If it’s Gristmill try the Falls City wedding sausage appetizer, made in my home town by hard working Polish relatives!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
12,283 posts
554 reviews
332 helpful votes
7. Re: Greune Mansion / Hall

I also like the homemade wine coolers at the Gristmill. Very nice on a hot day.

Reply to: Greune Mansion / Hall
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about New Braunfels
Recent Conversations
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.