We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Premium Outlet or Tanger Outlet

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Premium Outlet or Tanger Outlet

We only have a short stay in San Marcos. There will only be time to stop at one outlet mall. Which one has the best deals?

Thank you.

9 replies to this topic
Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,839 posts
134 reviews
1. Re: Premium Outlet or Tanger Outlet

Look at the store assortment on their websites. Each Mall has different stores. Without knowing your tastes, I really can’t recommend one over the other.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Premium Outlet or Tanger Outlet

I read some information online and it said the premium outlet is still expensive. Is that true?

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,839 posts
134 reviews
3. Re: Premium Outlet or Tanger Outlet

It has the higher-end stores, so the prices are indeed a discount, but they are still somewhat high.

Lockhart, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
17 reviews
4. Re: Premium Outlet or Tanger Outlet

From my own experiences in both, I would say that their virtue is in the number of store chains represented, not low prices. "Factory outlet," in fact, sometimes means the manufacturer sticks to their policy of selling at their suggested retail price so as not to be seen as competing with their wholesale customers' retail businesses. Some do indeed have discounted close-outs and discontinued items, and they may naturally have more selection, because they are, after all, the maker.

I don't go with a mission to buy particular things, except perhaps from Cavenders Boot City, which is at one end of the Tanger lot. I can generally beat the prices for selected things at Amazon, Walmart, etc. I go for the wonder of what's offered, the variety at things like kitchen stores.

The way of the world being what it is, a number of "outlets" stock relatively little of their own merchandise. Saks Fifth Avenue Off Fifth in San Marcos Premium Outlets is one.

Tanger is a chain of outlets, and their web site has deals available at the San Marcos stores.

https://www.tangeroutlet.com/sanmarcos/deals

They have a membership club, if you're interested in doing all that for one visit.

https://www.tangeroutlet.com/tangerclub

San Marcos Premium Outlets also has deals:

premiumoutlets.com/outlet/san-marcos/deals

The two are really like one giant mall. There's nothing but a drive between them, so it's pretty seamless. If you look at them on Google Maps and zoom way in on the satellite view, you can see the labels of each chain and maybe do some planning of eliminate some areas.

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
7,191 posts
76 reviews
5. Re: Premium Outlet or Tanger Outlet

The two are adjacent to each other and so it really is about which stores interest you. The area is quite large so you may even drive from one store to another within the same outlet complex. There is no need to choose one over the other because of proximity or price as they have different retail stores.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Premium Outlet or Tanger Outlet

I thought the two were miles apart from one another.

Lockhart, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
17 reviews
7. Re: Premium Outlet or Tanger Outlet

No. Look at Google Maps. If they didn't have different signs, you'd think they were one mall with different design themes at each end.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/San+Marcos+Premium+Outlets/@29.8251881,-97.9853543,3362m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xc7f80a4839b56112!8m2!3d29.8287762!4d-97.9815456

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: Premium Outlet or Tanger Outlet

Very helpful. Thanks.

9. Re: Premium Outlet or Tanger Outlet

Hi tgenge75,

With four miles of shopping and more than 240 name brand and luxury stores at the outlet center, we would suggest looking up the store directories, picking out the stores that look best to you and then plan a route accordingly. We recommend parking at one end, shopping a portion, driving to the next portion and repeat!

Reply to: Premium Outlet or Tanger Outlet
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about San Marcos
More San Marcos Topics