We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

san marcos swimming

Santorini, Greece
1 post
san marcos swimming

we are wanting to take a day trip to San Marcos lake,,but i cannot find a park or location where we can go to swim and picnic...How and where do i look

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
7,042 posts
76 reviews
1. Re: san marcos swimming

You may have posted in the wrong forum. This is the forum for San Marcos, Texas, USA. There is swimming, in beautiful San Marcos River, but no San Marcos Lake that I am aware of. By the way, Santorini is one of my favorite Greek Islands. Heading back next June.

Lockhart, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
17 reviews
2. Re: san marcos swimming

If you mean San Marcos, Texas, there is indeed a lake...but. The lake is the spring lake at the head of the springs that are the source of the San Marcos River. The lake was the site of the former Aquarena resort and is now owned by Texas State University. http://www.aquarena.txstate.edu/ The lake may be viewed but not for swimming, other than trained volunteer divers who keep the bottom cleaned up.

But don't despair. There's great swimming and more in the river. The lake and river are about 72 degrees all year. The river is very clear with fish, turtles, water birds. You may swim or tube from near the source (rent tubes from the Lions Club) and drift down to Rio Vista Park where the Lions tube buss takes you back. Or bring your own tube or float. http://www.tubesanmarcos.com/map.htm

Rio Vista Park was the site of an old low dam. The City had it completely remade into a whitewater park with three shoots. Search Rio Vista Park on YouTube. There are a number of places along the way where you can just swim if you want. Swim along with Lucy the Goose who will get aboard with you sometimes. You can also rent kayaks, which is, I think, the best way. It's easy enough to paddle both ways.

www.youtube.com/watch…

Take I35 to San Marcos. Exit Hwy 80, turning west into town. Turn right at the light at the Walgreens onto Charles Austin Drive. Go past the sports field and over the tracks and follow the sign to the Lions tube rental.

Or, to go direct to Rio Vista, get off on Hwy 80 west. Take the first left onto Cheatham street. Follow down to the river. Go past the river and turn right into the parking area.

San Marcos, Texas
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
3. Re: san marcos swimming

Thanks for wanting to visit San Marcos but like the others said- we do not have a San Marcos Lake. However, the San Marcos River is wonderful; you can tube, kayak, snorkel, or swim!

We have a Tourist Information Center open 7 days a week located at 617 IH 35 North, San Marcos TX 78666.

Please call 512-393-5930 if you have any questions or visit our website at toursanmarcos.com.

We can also send out Tourist Information Packets when requested.

We hope to see you soon in San Marcos!

Thank you,

San Marcos Convention and Visitor Bureau

4. Re: san marcos swimming

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2015, 13:17
Get answers to your questions about San Marcos
More San Marcos Topics