We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nuevo Progresso

Indiana
Level Contributor
71 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Nuevo Progresso

Wondering how safe it is to cross the border here. Can you recommend any dentists? We are not traveling until October but would like to know of an up to date website to check safety.

homesweetspi
Level Contributor
404 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nuevo Progresso

Has always been safe, except for one isolated incident early last winter. Many Winter Texans go over two or three times a week all winter long. Sandra Buccardo for a dentist... she has two or three offices in Nuevo Progreso. We have friends who wait to have their dental work done so they can go there.

South Padre Island...
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nuevo Progresso

Not safe to go anywhere in Mexico these days.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Nuevo Progresso

I am having dental work done in Progreso soon. Please recommend a nearby place for me to stay. I am not going to feel very well after procedure, so need to be close. Thanks!

homesweetspi
Level Contributor
404 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nuevo Progresso

There's a Holiday Inn Express and Suites on South International Boulevard in Weslaco. It's the closest decent size city to the border. Do a search on here for maps etc.

Indiana
Level Contributor
71 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nuevo Progresso

Thank you so much for the info.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Nuevo Progresso

Thanks for your response. Any restaurant recommendations also appreciated (esp ones with soup or other sore teeth foods)!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Nuevo Progresso

I'd also appreciate input on where to park in Progreso. I'm not going to feel well after procedure so don't think I can handle the walk back on the bridge.

Alamo, Texas
Level Contributor
144 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nuevo Progresso

I used to park on the USA side for $2, then walk across the long bridge over the Rio Grande for 25 cents each way. But got too lazy.

You CANNOT go down 1015 to get to Progresso now! You have to drive further west about one mile to Texas Blvd., then turn south. You'll come to a T, at a flashing yellow light, at 281, and then head left-east to get to Progresso.

Any more, I just go ahead and drive in, several times a week. Never been scared to. The main drag has "uniformed" men showing you places to park along there, and will direct backing out traffic. Got my truck washed and waxed for $10, and they did a fabulous job.

If you were so inclined, straight down about one mile is the only main hotel, Las Flores (nickname of Nuevo Progresso). We stayed there for New Years Eve, and the rooms were clean and cozy.

Since you can't easily get to The Best Western because 1015 is closed,

my favorite little hotel is Valli-Ho on Business 83, on the south side,

between 1015 and like Border. Rooms are bigger, older, it's cozy there, a pool, next to a high school if you wanna go jogging, lobby has many maps under the glass topped tables there. I was real happy there, the little kitchenette, and the prices were reasonable. No pets allowed, tho.

I eat on the street in Progresso all the time. Lonches are the best! El Jalisco on the west side of the street about halfway down has good food, and often live entertainment - try their shrimp cocktail!

Some people like Red Snapper, just down the way from El Jali, upstairs, but I've been there twice and just not interested in going back.

Get a haircut for 4 bucks, a razor shave 4 bux, pedicure less than 10, manicure 5 bux. massage 20. shoe shine 1 dollar.

Dentist: good for overview and cleaning and top notch information - the one with the life-sized cardboard cutout just as yout enter the border, but he's expensive for work.

Dr. Santana is a little bit more expensive than the cheapest ones, but that's where I'm going next time. He's next to La Fogata.

Was seeing Dr. Pablo Veristade, with a one-day lab, but he did a crappy job on my inner molar )1 of 6 was too big and ugly).

If you buy medications, ONLY do so at Benevides, or Jessicas, both of them on the first street to the west when you enter the town. Benevides won't sell ativan and super pain killers,

but Jessica's will (two blocks south), AND, they give you a free drink that is GOOOOD! It has a little water fountain in it's courtyard.

Don't worry about the cops asking if you're buying pills. Just say you bought MEDICATION for personal use. They don't care.

El Disco, the first big store when you enter the town, has prices and selection that is outstanding! Get a drink during happy hour there, and you'll be staggering out the door by the time you get thru with it! There's three stories to that building!

Arizona on the east side, go to the top floor to the restaurant, it's a beautiful view and paneling work done there.

Down the road a block is Angel's, on the corner, a tall building. Food at top floor, sometimes entertainment. I don't like the place - the main door guy on the main floor never opens the door for little old ladies, he doesn't look you in the eye, and he talks to you without looking at you.

Across the street is another hot spot, The Galleria. Bottom floor full of stuff and booze, and up the 29 stairs up to a bar that's kept dark so you don't see how awful their choice of menu items really are. But if Carols and Carlos are playing, the place gets packed!

Can't get to Boy's Town because the road is flooded. For that stuff, go the the street bars one block west of Los Flores motel, and girls (not pretty) will say "I'll do anything you want for 20 bucks, but first I got to get me my drugs."

Scuzzy rooms in the courtyard, women have bites all over their body, like from bed bugs. yuck!

I have never been ripped off there, have always had a great time, and it's a blast! Main reason I moved here from Arizona! Party time all the time!

Let us know how you folks did!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Nuevo Progresso

We have spent the past two weekends in Nuevo Progreso, having dental work done at Universal Dental Clinic. We love Dr. Manuel Bazan there and have saved a TON of money eg. $800 for 5 root canals, $150 crowns. I am told that the other two dentists there are just as good. 1-956-650-8203. We were also very nervous at crossing but have seen no indication of trouble. Some people park on the US side at a designated parking lot which cost $5 for all day, but we decided we probably were not going to feel great after the amount of work and it was really hot, so we crossed, with no problem.

Office-take the first right after the bridge and it's the second office on the left. Park on the street or go to the next street, turn left, half a block up is a "Parking Spot" $2 all day--for an additional $5 they will wash your car.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Nuevo Progresso

A couple of other things, even though Hwy 1015 is closed, we stayed at the Holiday Inn Express, just had to go back through Weslaco, Texas Avenue (hwy 88) , to get to 281 and then east to the international bridge. We ate in Progreso, do not recommend Arturo's though--friends told us it was good, not so, quite bland-it has been quite a while since our friends were there. That night, we were very comfortable back at the hotel and had the Blue Onior Restaurant, next door, deliver to our room (good food with free delivery!)

Get answers to your questions about South Padre Island