We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Typical South Padre weather

Which South Padre Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Greenfield, Indiana
Level Contributor
8 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Typical South Padre weather

Hi, I was on the island from 1/19 - 1/31. The island is beautiful and we had really good temperatures. I am curious about a couple of things. Is it generally windy..(.it was very windy most days), and are the flags to help with water safety always red? Are there times when it is safe to be in the water?

I'm trying to figure out if this weather is typical all the time, just for the winter months or just happened to be that way for the time we were there.

Lastly, I stayed at Saida this time but would want to look into another place next time around...suggestions for a clean insect free place?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
274 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Typical South Padre weather

Yes, wind is pretty common at SPI. It’s one of the reasons SPI has become a hot spot for kite surfing. That said, it is somewhat unpredictable as to the severity levels, though it seems winter tends to bring on the strongest gusts. I was there in December, and we had several very windy days, but I’ve been down at the same time when it was very calm with almost no waves, and the water is beautiful, but that is generally the exception. You’ll find historic data here: airpadrekiteboarding.com/weather/south-padre…

Regarding the flags, you’ll have to take into account all the information including your ability to swim and general familiarity with the ocean. Hope that’s not stating the obvious, but no, the flags are not always red. More info here http://www.spadre.com/watersafety.html

Lastly, you can check out many of the sites like vacationrentals.com to search for condos that may be more suitable for you.

Greenfield, Indiana
Level Contributor
8 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Typical South Padre weather

Thanks! That is helpful and I understand about the water. I did note the kites...they were fun to watch!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
274 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Typical South Padre weather

You're welcome. I'm glad it was helpful. I like watching the kite-boarders as well...very cool.

Let me/us know if you have anything else we can help with, and hopefully your next trip to SPI won't be so windy.

Fort Worth, TX
Level Contributor
186 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Typical South Padre weather

for a place to stay, I always recommend a condo - clean, great prices, more space - check out www.vacationrentals.com or www.homeaway.com for a list of great condos - i always select something with lots of great reviews - you can't go wrong!

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
276 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Typical South Padre weather

I like vrbo.com for rentals.

It is windy, but the summer is hot. As far as the flags are concerned, were your at a public park? The beach by the condos in the summer does not have flags when I was there. We were there when a herricane was coming and everyone had to leave the island. We were there less than 24 hours when we had to leave.

I think it is windy because you are by the ocean.

Greenfield, Indiana
Level Contributor
8 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Typical South Padre weather

Too bad about the hurricane. Makes for some stories and excitement I bet.

We stayed at the Saida II and we could easily see a flag from our balcony. It was on the end of a board walk/beach access.

I am sure we will be back, modifying the timing of our visit a bit, maybe early December or late April/early May to see if we get a little warmer temps and a little less wind. Will also like to try a different condo.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
276 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Typical South Padre weather

Maybe it was the time of year you were there. If you go during warmer times of the year, it will be warmer.

8. Re: Typical South Padre weather

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2013, 05:21
Get answers to your questions about South Padre Island