We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mark Michael unit

Dudley
Level Contributor
6 posts
72 reviews
Mark Michael unit

Hi I was thinking of visiting a friend in the mark Michael unit , Id be coming from the uk and would like to know if anybody knows which airport I would need to fly to and is there hotels near the unit ? Thank you :-)

6 replies to this topic
Lockhart, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
2,430 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: Mark Michael unit

You will fly in and out of Dallas, particularly now, with Houston very busy and in some disarray. You might get a Dallas to Tyler hop, if you need to get closer. You must, if you will travel soon, be sure you have a rental car nailed down. They are in short supply due to disaster and insurance demands and will become more so after the Florida hurricane, and some companies are taking no reservations for less than 30-day rental periods. Those shortages can last for a long time, since relief efforts continue, and insurance companies will have clients in rental cars for a while, while things get settled. If you can find none, and all else fails, contact this hospitality house for advice. They can also answer other questions. http://www.easttexashospitalityhouse.com/

There are many motels near the unit and in Tennessee Colony. Google maps will show you. Almost every chain is represented, because of the obvious need for visitor accommodations.

Be very sure you are cleared to visit and all the paperwork is done. Your inmate should know how to insure all this and to get you on his visitation list. It can take up to six months, if he's restricted status, or as little as two days, if he's got a good security status, G1, G2, or Trustee. Review the visitation information.

www.tdcj.texas.gov/visitation/index.html

My dealing were always with the maximum security portions of Polunsky Unit and rarely with "normal" units, so I won't try to advice you further. But be sure it's all set up. Arriving with things left undone and pleading that you traveled from UK will not get you in.

Edited: 10 September 2017, 09:55
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,817 posts
49 reviews
2. Re: Mark Michael unit

You have just been given good advice about entering a Texas prison. The rules are extremely strict and they will turn you away for just the slightest misunderstanding on your part. Begging and saying you flew in from UK will get you know where and you will have wasted a lot of money.

If you don't follow the registration/signup rules 100% you will be turned away.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,646 posts
43 reviews
3. Re: Mark Michael unit

Palestine is the town that is most close to the unit. I have never stayed in Palestine but you can read reviews on Trip Advisor.

I would recommend flying into DFW and renting a car at the airport to drive to Palestine. I don't see the need to fly to Tyler. While it would save you an hour of driving time, it wouldn't be worth the additional cost to fly into Tyler IMO.

Dudley
Level Contributor
6 posts
72 reviews
4. Re: Mark Michael unit

Thank you so much for your advice , I honestly don't know how to start planning this trip ! I'm not very good at organising :-(

Lockhart, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
2,430 posts
17 reviews
5. Re: Mark Michael unit

Begin with your inmate and the TDCJ web site. www.tdcj.texas.gov/visitation/index.html

Of course, a lot of guys are in there exactly because they planning skills are abysmal. So you have to double check everything, the main thing initially being getting your inmate to put you on his visitor list. Then, ask him particularly if (1) he has any reason to think he will be transferred any time soon, and (2) if he has any court appearances coming up, and (3) if anyone else is planning to visit him. (Only one visit with one or two people together a weekend.) An inmate with a court appearance will be taken to the county where the hearing will be held and may be there a few days. (This actually works out well for visitors who are already in Texas, because county jail visits are much more informal.)

And inmates being the way inmates often are, it's worth the price of a phone call to the unit administration to make sure you're on the list and that he's not set to go out to court. Once you're on his list, you stay on it until he takes you off for some reason.

Then you just have to make sure you understand all the rules on the visitation page and get yourself there at the right time and day. You will almost certainly need a car to get to the unit. Arrange to fly in and get to the hotel of your choice a day before the visit. Visits aren't difficult, it's just that they are very particular about the rules. It's worth emailing the Hospitality House. I know they say they are for families, but they just might put you up, especially if your inmate doesn't have family that visit often. http://www.easttexashospitalityhouse.com/

I should also tell you that sometimes trips to visit are wasted. And incident that causes a unit lock-down can cancel all visits at the last moment. Or an inmate becomes ill.

Dudley
Level Contributor
6 posts
72 reviews
6. Re: Mark Michael unit

Thanks so much for your advice :-) it’s really helpful , I’m still waiting on receiving a letter from him with some details , it seems to be pretty slow :-( thank you once again :-)))))))))

Reply to: Mark Michael unit
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tyler