We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New London Museum and Tea Room

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,459 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
New London Museum and Tea Room

In 1937, 311 students and teachers were killed in a gas explosion in a New London school. Across from the current school is the tearoom and musem, The tea room serves a nice inexpensive lunch (catfish today) and a good peach cobbler. A nice lunch trip from Tyler---(not where google says it is) down 64 to 42-at Turnerville-turn left ---look for the monument and you get a little bit of history. Gas was oderless until this explosion and then "smell"was required!

2 replies to this topic
Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,906 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New London Museum and Tea Room

I remember reading about this in my Texas history book, many moons ago, and being amazed that natural gas didn't have a natural smell!

Texas
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New London Museum and Tea Room

Thanks for the report Dave!

Such a terrible tragedy. I'm glad you found the museum interesting that the tea room is good also.

I've got even more suggestions for you if you're interested:

If you enjoy history and museums, you might want to check out the Caddo Mounds State Historic Site in Alto sometime. It's a bit further, but if you're out that way it's definitely an interesting and worthwhile stop. texasbeautiful.com/tx9/caddoan-mounds-state-…

The grandkids might like the Cherokee Trace Drive-Thru Safari in Rusk. I haven't been yet myself, but it looks fun for kids. http://www.cherokeetrace.org/

Looking forward to more reports on your East Texas adventures!

Edited: 25 September 2011, 08:29
Reply to: New London Museum and Tea Room
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tyler