We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Utah's Best Vacation Rentals- SHADY

San Francisco...
1 post
Save Topic
Utah's Best Vacation Rentals- SHADY

After filing reports with the Utah Better Business Bureau as well as with our credit card insurance companies, we have since learned we are not the first to have such an awful experience.

UBVR owner states his commitment to customer satisfaction, however we had to resort to legal measures after the shady behavior of the manager at UBVR in which she refused not only to refund us for the property that was double-booked, but proceeded to dodge our phone calls despite promises to address what was admitted as a mistake on UBVR's part.

The shady practices of UBVR left a group of 10 people with children out in the cold as they did not offer adequate or equal substitute lodging for this unit for which we had already paid and confirmed. After getting someone to finally admit they did not have the correct unit as specified on our contract and payment form we were offered first a unit that could not fit our group and second a home that was more than 30 minutes from the location.

We spent the entire first day of our vacation scrambling to sort out the mess that UBVR had left us in and now continue to deal with the terrible service as the investigation into their business practice continues.

Our group of family and friends has put every effort into contacting UBVR in order to allow them to resolve this issue and refund our money for their error, yet it appears that for a couple thousand, they prefer to take the money and run than to keep 10 yearly repeat customers. So much for the owner's promise on this ad of 100% customer satisfaction. We have never had a more illegal and sickening experience. Buyer Beware. Please check with the Utah Better Business Bureau, Yelp, Facebook, TripAdvisor and other review sites for reports on Utah's Best Vacation Rentals."

P.S. Since reading many of the other terrible reviews of this management company, we can confirm not only the terrible customer service, lack of assisted check-in as advertised (which may have helped us avoid our whole terrible experience) but the fact that the place they tried to put us in for 10 people only had 3 towels! I can only imagine the same unfriendly lack of response we'd have gotten if we'd dared called about that!

Park City, Utah
Level Contributor
502 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Utah's Best Vacation Rentals- SHADY

Sorry to hear about your situation and experience with that vacation rental company. It appears they did make good effort in finding your accomodations but it by no means met expectations. I couldnt imagine renting a place from someone and arriving to find out its not available. Im a big advocate of Flipkey.com (a Tripadvisor.com company), Homeaway, and VRBO. There are property management companies that are good and those that arent. I know of a couple property managment companies in Park City Utah that advertise properties and put pictures of units on their website that are not even part of their rental pool. Its bait and switch and unethical marketing but they continue to do it. Why would a company put pictures of a property that isnt even part of their pool? So my thoughts next time you plan a trip to Park City, UT, look into alternative properties not only with property managment companies but flipkey, vrbo, and homeaway.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Utah's Best Vacation Rentals- SHADY

We've just returned from Salt Lake City and stayed in a home rented out by UBVRS. We had to pay up front back in August 2010 because "we were getting the deal of the century". After paying over US$3000 I found quite a few reviews about this company, but couldn't get out of the deal, so we were expecting the worst. I emailed them constantly ensuring that the hot tub would be installed, curtains put up in one of the bedrooms, etc, etc pretty much befriending the Customer Service person who happened to be the father of the family business. Things weren't as they were promised from the moment of arrival. We found out that the owner had moved him & his family out for the season to make some cash. Unfortunately, they must have taken the best kitchen crockery, pots, bed sheets, etc with them. The house was not very well stocked and everything was old or stained. Several lights didn't go, we had no house key or garage door opener, because "some other renter took them???" We did get very quick responses from them when complaining but this was via email not telephone. We also had a visit from a man from SLC council telling us we were in a house that was in an area where short term rentals were prohibited. The neighbours had complained about strange comings and goings. We felt like criminals!!! The owner of UBVRS proceeded to tell us we weren't supposed to tell any visitor who we were, how long we were there for or where the owner was. This was in page 4 of some massive manual that sat on the kitchen bench. Shady is the right word. I felt conned from day one when they charged our credit cards before even sending us a contract. I should have listened to my gut instinct, which has proven to be right yet again.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Utah's Best Vacation Rentals- SHADY

They are SHADY and horrible to deal with. Try having small kids all EXCITED about a hot tub, only to find out on arrival there is no water in the hot tub! Seriously. That was not fixed for days.. This company has an excuse for everything. There favorite seems to be " oh we had a water leak" how many times are they gonna use that excuse for there incompetence! STAY AWAY

4. Re: Utah's Best Vacation Rentals- SHADY

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 July 2012, 21:53
Park City, Utah
Level Contributor
502 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Utah's Best Vacation Rentals- SHADY

As far as a hot tub goes, the community where I have property had a leak in one of the hot tubs at one of the buildings. Its a bummer but there isnt anything that could be done because digging under frozen ground and under heated sidwalks in winter has additional downfalls---freezing sidewalks and additional frozen pipes as a result of the digging. Those are difficult items to fix in the dead of winter. Fortunately, their is a community hot tub at the club house as a back up. Sorry to hear about your bad experience.

Wilsonville, Oregon
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Utah's Best Vacation Rentals- SHADY

I really enjoyed working with the people At Utah's Best Vacation Rentals! I am Sure MBrinkman has what she felt like was a bad experience and I am sorry if she had that experience but it does not mean the company is bad. No one is perfect but the majority of there clients have great experiences just like I did. You have every right to voice your opinion, the overall company is amazing in all my experiences with them and I think they have some of the best selection around!

7. Re: Utah's Best Vacation Rentals- SHADY

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 July 2012, 22:00
Miami
Level Contributor
306 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Utah's Best Vacation Rentals- SHADY

I would also recommend that you look at vrbo.com. This allows you to speak directly with the owner. To me, it cuts out the middleman and you are more secure in knowing what you are getting.

Sorry to hear stories like this one. This is the exception, not the rule.

Canton, Ohio
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Utah's Best Vacation Rentals- SHADY

The Shady comments are dead on. We had a similar horrible experience with this company. STAY AWAY!!! In our binder with house info in it, it stated if we told anyone we were renting for a week and we were not friends of the owner that would be cause for our removal from the house. You mentioned VRBO, this is where we found our house. The house we paid for , was not the one we stayed in. VRBO should screen better. Everything you read recently about this company is not good.

Rancho Mirage...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Utah's Best Vacation Rentals- SHADY

My family is currently going thru the same dilema as some of you above... we got the "deal of the century" as well by booking early- and now due to some family situations, we have had to cancel... we are 4 months away from our start date- and i KNOW they will re-rent the unit.. We have spoken with them several times, and they promise the refund, and yet nothing is forthcoming- I get the read receipts on the emails, and they have even verbally admitted they have received the email, and yet will not respond appropriately.. We are thinking of legal action- as now I notice that the week I had booked - is now listed as "open and available"... if we do not receive our refund, we plan to show up for our reservation anyway, as we have paid for it! I think we should pursue legal action, better business bureau reporting, as well as notifying the HOA where they live.... Same on them...