We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's the Drive Like?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
1,184 reviews
What's the Drive Like?

Arriving Saturday to ski the Canyons/Park City. I see there is snow in the forecast on our arrival date. Used to doing the drive from Denver to Vail over the passes. How does the drive from Salt Lake City airport compare besides being less distance? Thanks for the heads up!

Edited: 09 December 2014, 07:52
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
20,875 posts
449 reviews
1. Re: What's the Drive Like?

It's not the least bit comparable. It's a six-lane freeway (more in some places) over Parley's Summit. Airport to Park City is about 35-40 minutes. Yes, snow is in the forecast so keep an eye out. The pass isn't that complicated and UDOT does a great job in keeping it open. It's not nearly the elevation of Vail Pass, for example. Skiing is great right now for early season.

Have fun.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
1,184 reviews
2. Re: What's the Drive Like?

Thank you! Glad to hear the conditions are good.First visit for our family. We've done Tahoe the last 3 years during winter break and it's always iffy.

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
383 posts
18 reviews
3. Re: What's the Drive Like?

Do we need a 4x4 SUV rental car for this time of year (trip Dec 20th - 26th)? I rented a SUV months ago and just noticed on the confirm it specifies two wheel drive. Just wondering if I have to worry. Clearly a large storm would be problematic, but wondering outside of that type of event. Thanks!

Edited: 10 December 2014, 16:22
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
5,206 posts
33 reviews
4. Re: What's the Drive Like?

As mentioned, UDOT does a pretty good job at plowing the roads. At worst, you may have to kill some time in SLC and let them do their thing. I have a 2WD car and drive up to PC in snow on occasion. I just go extremely slow and let folks in a hurry pass me. 4WD is a much better option, however. Especially if you're not used to driving in snow.

Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
383 posts
18 reviews
5. Re: What's the Drive Like?

Thank you!

Little Rock
Level Contributor
3,417 posts
59 reviews
6. Re: What's the Drive Like?

The drive is so boring I could only find a few short video clips on YouTube of it :)

Just freeway with a few hills, so unless you're staying in a neighborhood that up a canyon with steep hills you should be fine.

The whole area, including I-80, is on Google Street View

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
1,184 reviews
7. Re: What's the Drive Like?

Just arrived and the drive is by far the easiest ride to a ski area I've ever seen! It's a great freeway and the drive is super quick. We got luggage and car in literally a few minutes.Checked into a beautiful unit at the Westgate and my family left to ski a few runs! Amazing!

8. Re: What's the Drive Like?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2015, 02:18