We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving from montreal to vermont

montreal
13 posts
Save Topic
driving from montreal to vermont

what's the best and easiest way to get to burlington, vermont from montreal.

Stowe, Vermont
Level Contributor
15 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving from montreal to vermont

Hi! We travel this route often as our family lives on the west island and we're in the Stowe area. The most direct route is Rt 10E to Rt 35S to Rt 133S that then connects to I-89S at the Highgate Springs border crossing. Depending on timing (holiday, weekend), the border isn't super busy. A quick look at Google Maps will show you that route in detail. Expect roughly a 2 hour drive (assuming you're not leaving Montreal during rush hour traffic times). Exit #14W will take you to downtown Burlington/Lake Champlain area.

Hope that helps!

Milton, Vermont
Level Contributor
214 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving from montreal to vermont

Yup, exactly as stated by StoweMeadows.

Cross the Champlain Bridge in Montreal and stay on that highway which is Highway 10 East / Est.

Get off at the St. Jean-Sur-Richelieu exit which will put you on Highway 133.

You will go past St. Jean and cross the Richelieu river bridge. Stay on this road all the way until you hit the main Vermont border called Phillipsburgh / Highgate.

Upon crossing the border, it will become Interstate 89 South, which you will take to get to your destination. If you have a specific are you need to get to in Vermont and need further help with directions, let us know. It takes me 1.5 to 2 hours from Montreal to Burlington VT depending on congestion and border wait times.

7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: driving from montreal to vermont

Hi, any suggestions, best way via public transport from Montreal to Burlington.

Edited: 11 April 2013, 08:38
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,111 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving from montreal to vermont

bus or train

Milton, Vermont
Level Contributor
214 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: driving from montreal to vermont

For public transportation, you'll need to take the bus, and I believe the Greyhound bus.

7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: driving from montreal to vermont

Bus or train from Montreal to Burlington, Vermont. which is the safest and scenic for two mature aged ladies from Australia. We are actually coming from Quebec down to Burlington in one day, if we can get the right connections going by bus or rail. Do you think is possible.?

7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: driving from montreal to vermont

How safe is the Greyhound Bus?

Ormond Beach...
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
8,229 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: driving from montreal to vermont

I don't think there is any train that actually goes to Burlington. The closest Amtrack stop is ~7 miles away in the town of Essex Junction. You'd need to take a taxi or local bus from there to downtown Burlington.

To my knowledge, the Greyhound busses are very safe - no worries.

Edited: 11 April 2013, 16:48
Montreal, Quebec...
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: driving from montreal to vermont

HI MARTINE Anyone You know going to Vermont please.......

7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: driving from montreal to vermont

No I do Not, we're getting the bus now.