We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Couple of Extra Days after JMU Graduation

Hockessin, Delaware
Level Contributor
10 posts
50 reviews
A Couple of Extra Days after JMU Graduation

My niece is graduating from JMU in May. My husband and I are going. I was wondering if anyone could recommend attractions within 50 miles and whether it would be worth taking a few extra days in the area.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

10 replies to this topic
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
23,074 posts
293 reviews
1. Re: A Couple of Extra Days after JMU Graduation

Take a look / see at the Links below.. There is enough to fill a month of activities.

Shenandoah National Park, less than 30 minutes drive...

https://www.nps.gov/shen/index.htm

Shenandoah River State Park.

…virginia.gov/state-parks/shenandoah-river#g…

Edited: 24 March 2017, 20:10
Hockessin, Delaware
Level Contributor
10 posts
50 reviews
2. Re: A Couple of Extra Days after JMU Graduation

Thank you so very much. I appreciate the information you provided.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
23,074 posts
293 reviews
3. Re: A Couple of Extra Days after JMU Graduation

Janet,

You are most welcome..If you do decide to head over to SNP & the State Park... Book accommodations ASAP. You can use the search bar for other threads covering the sites... If you can't find what you are looking for, Just post, we have a number of members & DE's who are quite knowledgeable about both locations.

Kesh_grammy

Edited: 25 March 2017, 13:49
PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
3,463 posts
175 reviews
4. Re: A Couple of Extra Days after JMU Graduation

You might want to consider a short stay in Winchester, VA about 70 miles north of Harrisonburg. Some sites of interest are Old Town which is a downtown walking mall, the Patsy Cline House, the Museum of the Shenandoah Valley, the Marker Miller Orchard, and many Civil War sites. Belle Grove plantation in nearby Middletown, VA is also worth a visit. The following links will give you additional information.

http://oldtownwinchesterva.com/

http://www.visitwinchesterva.com/

Hockessin, Delaware
Level Contributor
10 posts
50 reviews
5. Re: A Couple of Extra Days after JMU Graduation

Thank you very much for the info.

Waynesboro, Virginia
Level Contributor
210 posts
345 reviews
6. Re: A Couple of Extra Days after JMU Graduation

The area has a lot to offer if you could list so interests would be helpful in pointing out activities that might interest you. Or example do you enjoy wine tasting?

Culpeper, Virginia
Level Contributor
12 posts
73 reviews
7. Re: A Couple of Extra Days after JMU Graduation

Visit the Patsy Cline museum in Winchester an hour north.off of I-81

Stanton about 40 minutes to the south off of I-81 is the home of he Statler Brothers of country music fame.

Lots of vineyards and craft breweries in the area.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
15,297 posts
125 reviews
8. Re: A Couple of Extra Days after JMU Graduation

Staunton is a very nice little city with a good variety of shops and restaurants. It's the home of the Blackfriar Theatre which houses the American Shakespeare Theatre -- always excellent performances! There's is also the Woodrow Wilson Presidential Library and Museum which we found very interesting. And, for a taste of even more history, there's the Frontier Culture Museum. If you are interested in wineries, there are several in the vicinity.

If you were willing to drive a bit more than 50 miles away, there's Lexington. It's got a ton of history too as it's the home of Virginia Military Institute and Washington and Lee University. You can visit the Lee Chapel and Museum (and see the tomb of R.E. Lee and his horse, Traveler). You can also tour Stonewall Jackson's home. And the George C. Marshall Museum is well worth a visit. But, for me, the best thing about Lexington is Hull's Drive in Theatre which will be open in May. It's a ton of fun to watch movies that way!

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
11,098 posts
68 reviews
9. Re: A Couple of Extra Days after JMU Graduation

This is from 3/17...she graduated over a year ago and is working at a law firm in DC.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
15,297 posts
125 reviews
10. Re: A Couple of Extra Days after JMU Graduation

In the words of Homer Simpson, "Doh!"

Reply to: A Couple of Extra Days after JMU Graduation
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Harrisonburg