We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some logistical advice please

Clontarf, Queensland
Level Contributor
171 posts
399 reviews
Some logistical advice please

Hi, my wife and I are over from Australia and travelling up from Chattanooga towards Washington (our place of departure) after a road trip down the East Coast and then back from Montgomery.

After leaving Chattanooga we find ourselves with four days left. We are looking to stay somewhere within easy reach of Washington Dulles (maybe 3-4 hours drive) around an area Roanoke to Harrisonburg, which looks like a beautiful area of your country.

It really is not important where we stay, but would like to spend our last few days exploring by car and walking this area. Any suggestions of where we should base ourselves to try and accomplish this would be gratefully received.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
15,047 posts
123 reviews
1. Re: Some logistical advice please

Staunton is a nice town with lots to do and see.

Virginia
Level Contributor
291 posts
482 reviews
2. Re: Some logistical advice please

If it were me, I might stay in/around Charlottesville. Its good wine country, not that far from Shennandoah National Park, and still within easy reach of both Staunton and Lexington (all within about an hour). There is plenty of history in the area Monticello is worth a visit.

And as another consideration if you are interested in history, coming more east to the hostoric triange of Williamsburg, Jamestown and York town would provide far more than 3 days worth of things to see and do. Its about 2.5 hrs south from Dulles.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
22,161 posts
292 reviews
3. Re: Some logistical advice please

Greetings!

When are you planning on visiting? A visit to Central Virginia can take a bit of planning due to scheduled events & weather in the area.

Kind Regards,

Kesh grammy.

Clontarf, Queensland
Level Contributor
171 posts
399 reviews
4. Re: Some logistical advice please

Thank you Amy J and Kesh Gammy for your replys, the area sounds nice and I will do some research on the places mentioned, it will be a nice relaxing end to the holiday. We plan to be passing through immediately prior to our flight home on August 14th, maybe taking four nights there.

It,s always nice to listen to people with some good advice and thanks to trip advisor we have the vehicle in which to do it, many thanks.

Steve

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
22,161 posts
292 reviews
5. Re: Some logistical advice please

Greetings Steve,

First! the important (non-glossy) info about Central Virginia.

Our weather in August, can be, hot, hazy & humid.

See more info bottom of my post.

currentresults.com/Weather/Virginia/temperat…

Very high incidence in tick borne diseases in Virginia.

See more info bottom of my post.

Courtesy of the Shenandoah National Park Website.

www.nps.gov/shen/naturescience/ticks.htm

Courtesy of The Daily Progress

dailyprogress.com/lifestyles/…

I have had ticks land on me walking near Charlottesville downtown area.

Courtesy Center for Disease Control

www.cdc.gov/ticks/avoid/on_people.html

Courtesy U of R.I.

tickencounter.org/prevention/protect_yourself

SNP

visitskylinedrive.org/What-To-See/Explore.as…

everytrail.com/best/hiking-shenandoah-nation…

TA SNP site

tripadvisor.ie/Tourism-g143051-Shenandoah_Na…

I am a fan of the city of Staunton, here is a bit of info.

www.visitstaunton.com/

TA site on Staunton.

tripadvisor.ie/Tourism-g58210-Staunton_Virgi…

Charlottesville & Central Virginia> Things to do & see in the area.

Charlottesville Events, re-check closer to your visit.

visitcharlottesville.org/visitors/…

Courtesy of C-ville check closer to your dates.

www.c-ville.com/events/

www.monticellowinetrail.org/

monticello.org/site/visit/saunders-monticell…

www.monticello.org/

Madison area info, including James Madison's home.

virginia.org/listings/…

Where would I base? Why Charlottesville of course, however, if you wait a few days, the UVA students return & it will be bedlam. I strongly suggest you check & reserve accommodations ASAP. That said, you can actually do a loop from Staunton> Charlottesville >up to Gordonsville > Madison > and back out to head to Dulles.

tripadvisor.ie/Hotels-g57592-Charlottesville…

Hotels, Inn's, B&B's, take your pick, Gordonsville, a fav. of mine, only 30 minutes from C-ville.

Charlottesville & the surrounding area, is a foodies paradise, we all have our favorites.

Clothing, light weight, breathable fabrics, I wear l.s. shirts & pants year round, hiking/walking, I tuck my pants into my socks, & I wear hiking boots w/ankle support, year round. A hat w/a visor/brim is a must, Sun block, a must, I do use tick repel on my clothing, a spray on myself, check yourself & your partner.

Do not underestimate our weather, you can dehydrate easily, potable water.

What ever you trek into our parks & trails, please take out with you.

A word of caution> Hiking/walking in our parks, we have had folks get into trouble & worse, by attempting, trails & climbs they are not qualified to do.

Parking in Charlottesville, you need to check where you are parking, is it residential zoned? A private lot? Pay on exit? Do not lose your ticket, post on dashboard. Again, watch where you park.

I hope this info gets you started in planning your visit to Central Virginia.

Come & Enjoy!

Kind Regards,

Kesh grammy

Ruckersville...
Level Contributor
479 posts
85 reviews
6. Re: Some logistical advice please

On you way up, I would visit Natural Bridge, Its about 30 minutes south of Lexington, Va. Besides the Natural Bridge, there are also Caverns and other attractions.

Staunton, Va would be good for a couple of nights. The Frontier Culture Museum and Woodrow Wilson Presidential Library and Birthplace are worth the visit. Downtown Beverly St and the Wharf area offer a lot of Specialty shops and Restaurants.

Charlottesville, Va is also good for a couple of nights. Home to Thomas Jefferson (Monicello) and James Monroe (Ashlawn-Highlands) There is plenty to see. James Madisons' Montpellier is about 40 minutes away. There are plenty of Vineyards in the area also. Charlottesville is about a 2 hour drive from Dulles International Airport. Hope you have a great visit.

7. Re: Some logistical advice please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2017, 11:17
Get answers to your questions about Harrisonburg