We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I/81 heading south

Eastport, New York
1 post
I/81 heading south

I will be traveling to Florida the day after xmas. I will be leaving Long Island and going over the Verrazano Bridge. What route do I take to get to l-81. What shoud I expect weather and road conditions this time of year.

9 replies to this topic
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
22,547 posts
293 reviews
1. Re: I/81 heading south

Welcome to Tripadvisor Virginia Travel Forum..

May I suggest you also open a new thread (inquiry) on the Road Trips Forum, members can offer quite a bit more info.

https:/…ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Trips.html

Weather in Virginia in December can be quite varied, we could have rain, cloudy, fog, icy, snow, or a mix, & then there is the chance it could be a lovely day.

Kesh_grammy

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
22,547 posts
293 reviews
2. Re: I/81 heading south

I would be neglectful if I didn't mention Virginia has had a few (?) Nor'easter's in December....

Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
11,767 posts
156 reviews
3. Re: I/81 heading south

You could also just ask in both the NJ and PA forums. And..go to "google maps" and type in from Long Island to Verrazano Bridge. Then zoom out. Looks like you could take I-95 to DC, then 68 over to 81. But...95 does go all the way to Florida.

Keep looking at www. weather.com for the forecast. Safe travels!

Brookneal, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
99 reviews
4. Re: I/81 heading south

Which Long Island? ;)

It's not far from Long Island, VA to Lynchburg, then take 460 west to I-81.

https://goo.gl/maps/y3uoFtBvQ7D2

bestplaces.net/people/…24569

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
22,547 posts
293 reviews
5. Re: I/81 heading south

OP is discussing using the Verrazano Narrows Bridge, Brooklyn, New York.

Virginia
Level Contributor
6,829 posts
15 reviews
6. Re: I/81 heading south

So I'm thinking your trying to avoid some traffic and "incidents" on the roads and that's why not 495W from LI and no 95S. Is that the idea?

So you wouldn't want 78 to Harrisburg PA where you can get 81, is that right?

How soon do you need/want to connect with 81?

You could do something like 95S to Levittown NJ area dn E on 276/76 to Harrisburg PA where you can get 81S.

That said, remember 81 is in mountains. Beautiful drive in good weather but tougher in bad weather. I hated the deep foggy days and nights on 81 head north after Harrisburg PA but you won't go that far north. Chatanooga area can have fog for some reason. 81 is plowed well as a major business route and is sort of kept clear just with a tremendous amount of traffic but be aware of any ice if it's freezing out.

And trucks. They have saved my life being able to drive behind them at times in the fog and blizzards. But they can be scarey so be aware their traffic seems to pick up as the day goes on.

cincinnati, ohio
Level Contributor
3,539 posts
276 reviews
7. Re: I/81 heading south

I can't fathom why you would want to use I-81, which follows the ridge of the Blueridge Mtns. with all the potential weather and roads problems that would entail, when you could use I-95 along the lowland coast and not worry about ice and snow, not to mention more direct, even to Fla.s west coast.

La Plata, Maryland
Level Contributor
188 posts
8. Re: I/81 heading south

Also keep in mind that I-81 has statistically TWICE the ratio of tractor-trailers in the mix, than most interstate highways.

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
14,514 posts
3,417 reviews
9. Re: I/81 heading south

"that I-81 has statistically TWICE the ratio of tractor-trailers in the mix"

We did not know this, but we "feel' this to be true.

Long ago, I-81 was a pleasant drive; today we avoid I - 81 b/c of the trucks.

Reply to: I/81 heading south
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lynchburg