We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Upscale dinner for Thanksgiving dinner

Terre Haute, IN
Level Contributor
188 posts
84 reviews
Upscale dinner for Thanksgiving dinner

First time we will be in Lynchburg, not to mention Thanksgiving. Other than Denny's, is there a restaurant that serves an upscale Thanksgiving dinner buffet. PLEASE, not Golden Corral...that's not quite the kind of buffet I had in mind. Do any of the hotels offer a dinner? We usually go to the Holiday Inn where we live.

10 replies to this topic
Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,829 posts
15 reviews
1. Re: Upscale dinner for Thanksgiving dinner

We used to enjoy great holiday buffets when we met up in Lynchburg with family. We'd come from all directions. One of our old favorites is no more. They did a great job. Holiday Inn on Main St downtown Lynchburg used to have holiday buffets...you could check with them.

Not up on the planning this year but you might look at The Kirkley. Used to be a Hilton. We had a couple of nice holiday meals there and one last terrible one a few year ago. But they may have bounced back.

If Natural Bridge would be a nice trip, give them a try. I know families who had their reunions there and enjoyed the Thanksgiving meals.

I understand the Bistro at Acorn Hill Lodge in Lynhburg was expanding. You might see what they are up to now.

I do know Bob Evans and Cracker Barrel are open. I've been to some older, downscale Bob Evans and this is not that. Lynchburg has a nice one.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,829 posts
15 reviews
2. Re: Upscale dinner for Thanksgiving dinner

Someone told me Ruby Tuesday will be open as well.

If you find out anything about any of these, let us know.

Brookneal, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,726 posts
99 reviews
3. Re: Upscale dinner for Thanksgiving dinner

I can vouch for the Bob Evans in Lynchburg- it's top notch.

For a more upper scale meal, I would recommend Porter-House restaurant.

We have always enjoyed our meals there, though have never eaten Thanksgiving there as we are out of town.

diningporterhouse.com/thanksgiving.index109.…

Also, just 45 minutes west of Lynchburg, the Peaks of Otter Lodge will be having their Thanksgiving buffet- it's definitely upscale from Bob Evans. peaksofotter.com/Thanksgiving-Day-Buffet.aspx

Reservations recommended.

And it's in a lovely setting- beautiful drive getting there and gorgeous scenery once you are there.

Hiking opportunities on site if you want to walk off that meal too ;)

We've been up there twice hiking in the past three weeks. Incredible!

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,829 posts
15 reviews
4. Re: Upscale dinner for Thanksgiving dinner

Found out about two places having Thanksgiving dinner in Lbg. Crown Sterling is nice. They seem to be doing a buffet for Thanksgiving instead of individual meals.

And Hill City House Grille.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,829 posts
15 reviews
5. Re: Upscale dinner for Thanksgiving dinner

Here is The Crown Sterling's menu so you can click around to get an idea of them. Their Thanksgiving Buffet menu is in a post on the FB page, listed under The Crown Sterling. We've been to them under previous owners. The current owners are wonderful people, always upgrading and a great desire to make diners happy so we are looking forward to dining their again soon sometime.

http://thecrownsterling.net/

Here's the other one's site, listed as The Hill City House, which was their name in full until they added the word Grille to describe them better:

http://www.hillcityhouse.com/

They, too are on fb as The Hill City House.

Edited: 25 November 2014, 17:32
2 posts
6. Re: Upscale dinner for Thanksgiving dinner

I understand someone in Appamottox will be serving a buffet with lots of stuff for $30. I'll try to find the article and get back with you. It sounds very nice.

2 posts
7. Re: Upscale dinner for Thanksgiving dinner

Babcock House, Appomattox, VA

Springfield, VA
Destination Expert
for Fairfax
Level Contributor
2,153 posts
298 reviews
8. Re: Upscale dinner for Thanksgiving dinner

The original post was three years. I'm sure that the original poster has long since traveled on.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
21,856 posts
290 reviews
9. Re: Upscale dinner for Thanksgiving dinner

Another Necro posting

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,829 posts
15 reviews
10. Re: Upscale dinner for Thanksgiving dinner

Yes, when this happens readers can think all posts are current. And actually 4 restaurants I mentioned are already out of business.

Babcock House is actually nice,nice setting, good food,nice porch. I've been there for meetings and meals but haven't stayed overnight yet.

Reply to: Upscale dinner for Thanksgiving dinner
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lynchburg