We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

local buses and taxi service in Lynchburg

Fishersville...
5 posts
local buses and taxi service in Lynchburg

My wife and I plan to spend five days in Lynchburg in mid-October. Disappointed to see so few downtown, inexpensive attractive hotels. My wife is a late sleeper, especially on vacations. If we choose a hotel on the Route 29 corridor near Liberty Univ, I would be grateful for any thoughts about local buses from there to downtown. How frequent and how reliable are the buses? Similarly, how reliable are the local taxis? Many thanks!

4 replies to this topic
Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,829 posts
15 reviews
1. Re: local buses and taxi service in Lynchburg

I do understand your desire for public transportation.

Not sure I understand why the hotels either downtown or near Liberty. Do you plan to visit both places? Or are you looking for one area with things to do?

Also, not sure what the late sleeping has to do with it.

Just trying to figure out how to help.

Fishersville...
5 posts
2. Re: local buses and taxi service in Lynchburg

Thanks...the hotels near Liberty are more attractive, not those downtown; but the historical sites, traditional buildings, great walks etc are mostly in downtown. I expect two scenarios: First, my wife wants via our sole car alone to visit the Booker Washington site, which I have already visited twice in the past; meantime I want to enjoy downtown Lynchburg. Second scenario, next day: I use the car alone to visit the D-Day monument, while my wife enjoys downtown Lynchburg. Again, the reliability and frequency of local buses and taxis are important. On evening both of us will rendezvous for dinner. Any thoughts?

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,829 posts
15 reviews
3. Re: local buses and taxi service in Lynchburg

So you really do need to be in downtown, best case scenario.

It can be hard to find reasonable accommodations in Lynchburg especially with fall coming up and their getting people from Parkway travels, their own college Family Weekends and Parents Weekends and their own games...plus overflow from other cities with similar events.

Most of the downtown b&bs are about $150 and up. One thing a friend is recommending is a particular b&b accommodation through airbnb. There are several in Lynchburg but this one seems to be the closest to downtown for you and very reasonable. And right near the bus stop to take you to the heart of downtown. My friend knows the owner. I haven't met him. He is particular about his home and has lovely decor. He's English too so I guess he knows the b&b culture well. He's a retired professional.

Rather than you getting lost in all the Lynchburg accommodations on the airbnb company site, I'll link the page. You'll see the bus to the heart of downtown is right near the house. Oh...the company site has his home off by just a little. When you look at the map, the $51 and $31 are actually the same accommodation and closer to Rivermont. You'll see the little blue icon indicating a bus stop. I'll link you the local transit map later but you can ask the owner if he knows the schedule too.

Check out Point of Honor when you are there too.

https:/…

Fishersville...
5 posts
4. Re: local buses and taxi service in Lynchburg

Many thanks! Point of Honor seems fascinating. Your specific reply to me has been the only one, so I am especially grateful. Unfortunately I need to avoid b and b places; I suffered a stroke in 2006, struggling with oral skills. I actually prefer an impersonal hotel where I can enjoy breakfast with reading and without conversation. But again, thanks for the suggestion. I salute Lynchburg!

Reply to: local buses and taxi service in Lynchburg
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lynchburg