We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wendymath--thank you!!

America, The...
Level Contributor
7,419 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Wendymath--thank you!!

I just wanted to thank you for all your help with Smith Mountain Lake. We just loved the lake and had a great vacation. In the end, we found Mariners to be just so-so . . . nice because the condo in which we stayed was new and clean, but really lacking in terms of service and design (example, the bedrooms in the condos had no windows so you felt like you were sleeping in a cave and the dishwasher was placed directly under the sink, which made washing and loading dishes rather complicated). The dishes in the condo were also too big for the d/w. You could never get the front desk to pick up their phone, and they opened very late and closed very early. Housekeeping couldn't come up with extra pillows or a kitchen garbage can larger than the smallest bathroom-sized one that was in there.

So, though I might not stay there again because all of these seemingly minor quirks added up to a larger amount of annoyance after a while, we did just love that end of the lake for its large smooth coves and general quiet. The boating and skiing was great.

Thanks for recommending Mexico Viejo too. We had a great dinner there, preceeded by yummy margaritas, with a beautiful lake view. I had trouble believing that there would be anything authentically latino in rural Virginia, but was happily surprised.

We'll definately come back to the lake, but likely not to Mariners, though not in the end because of its location. We would probably rent a private house since the resort amenities didn't really add up to much for us in the end anyway.

Again, thank you for your helpful and enthusiastic responses to my many questions!

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,831 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wendymath--thank you!!

Well aren't you nice!

So glad you had fun skiing and boating. I agree that the water and views at Mariners are wonderful, but I had no idea about the amenities. How strange about the trashcans, dishes and dishwasher. That would indeed annoy me too. But the plus is you've had a chance to scope out the lake in order to pick the right house for your next trip.

And I'm glad you made it to Mexico Viejo - authentic alright, right down to the waiters with broken English. I had a shrimp chimichanga that could have fed the party at the next table - making myself hungry!

2. Re: Wendymath--thank you!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 14:16
Get answers to your questions about Moneta