We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A positive Experience Travelling in Nicaragua

Toronto, Canada
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
A positive Experience Travelling in Nicaragua

This post is not to ask a question but to provide general comments for prospective travellers to Nicaragua. I recently spent 3 weeks travelling around Nicaragua by myself (male) and with just a limited amount of the Spanish language.

My thanks to Cincinnatalie, Byronortega and Likeeveryoneelse. In the months prior to my departure, the forum and your comments were very helpful.

My 3 weeks were spent in Granada, Leon, El Castillo and the beaches of Popoyo and Guasacaste.My goal was not to cover as much ground as possible in the time available, it was the opposite. Though I did not get to a few spots (Corn Islands) that I would have liked to, my priorities were relaxing, wandering around and watching the world go by, all being fully accomplished.

This was an excellent vacation and I had a very positive experience. People were very friendly, both residents and fellow travellers. There were several times that people went out of their way to assist me. I never felt that I was in danger and the food is generally very good, particularily in Granda.

Granada has a large expat community and there is plenty of english used in the various restaurants / bars on or near the Calzada. Although the city is on the lake their beach area does not have much development. I recommend that you plan any beach time on the Corn Islands or the various beaches along the Pacific. This is a great place to do a few local tours, relax and meet fellow travellers around the Calzada.

El Castillo is a one street town along the banks of the Rio San Juan. There are various nature tours but spending time with your feet up and a book is also good in El Castillo.

Having to share a 2 mile long beach with (maybe) 10 other people is an experience that is becoming very difficult to achieve, however it is still possible in Popoyo.

Leon is larger than Granada, but there are fewer tourists or items in town.

Managua, Nicaragua
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: A positive Experience Travelling in Nicaragua

nice to hear that you enjoy your stay at Nicaragua. Had you try duck hunting and fishing 130 lbs Tarpons? if not you missed one of the top outdoor activities..

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A positive Experience Travelling in Nicaragua

I love Granada but did notice it is getting a bit too clean as oppoed to 2 years ago obviously for tourism. Loen was the opposite with more litter more broken sidewalks but in that way more authentic. The people there were maybe even more open and friendly than Granada. I noticed there are more Europeans now as well

3. Re: A positive Experience Travelling in Nicaragua

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 December 2014, 01:19