We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

More days in Naxos or Mykonos? feedback on general itinerary

Level Contributor
85 posts
More days in Naxos or Mykonos? feedback on general itinerary

Hello All!

We switched our Rome stop with Naxos to save cost and time! now below is the updated plan that I would like your opinion on "how realistic" it is. We like beach, good food, shopping, a little nightlife, sightseeing, and relaxing. The main thing I am debating is whether I should decrease Mykonos days and add to Naxos since some people say it Naxos is a cheaper and better version of Mykonos? (read online...) But I feel like we can justify the high (er) cost of staying Mykonos since we DO have plans on those days. (Visiting Delos and exploring nearby beaches and main town will take 2 full days?) I also added Naxos bc it felt like a "convenient" island to hop between Santorini and Mykonos. Currently doing research on how much we can do there in 1.5 days. TAI! this is also for our 1st anniversary.

• Day 1 (September 29) : travel day from US

• Day 2 (September 30) : Land in ATH; direct fly to Santorini. Check into hotel

• Day 3 (October 1): FULL DAY santorini

• Day 4 (October 2): FULL DAY santorini

• Day 5 (October 3): FULL DAY santorini

• Day 6(October 4): Ferry to Naxos

• Day 7 (October 5): FULL DAY Naxos

• Day 8 (October 6): Ferry to Mykonos

• Day 9 (October 7): FULL DAY Mykonos (delos)

• Day 10 (October 8) FULL DAY Mykonos (beach day and explore town)

• Day 11 (October 9): Ferry to Athens

• Day 12 (October 10): FULL DAY Athens

• Day 13 (October 11): FULL DAY Athens

• Day 14 (October 12): leave for the US

Edited: 12 June 2017, 17:29
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
8,303 posts
69 reviews
1. Re: More days in Naxos or Mykonos? feedback on general itinerary

<some people say it Naxos is a cheaper and better version of Mykonos>

There is only one Mykonos and Naxos isn't a "version" of it in any shape or form. It is cheaper to visit, though, and it would be "better" for people who don't want the high-end hotel, dining, shopping and nightlife experience that Mykonos offers.

A Delos visit takes less than half a day so that leaves plenty of time to see and do things back on Mykonos.

concord nh
Level Contributor
4,383 posts
54 reviews
2. Re: More days in Naxos or Mykonos? feedback on general itinerary

Since Santorini and Mykonos are two of the most popular and heavily touristed of the Greek Islands you may want to eliminate Mykonos and spend more time on Naxos one of Greece's loveliest islands with a wonderful combination of Old & New World Greece.

Naxos is one of the largest of the Cyclades islands and has more options and things to do and has one of the most spectacular roads/rides from Naxos Town to Appollonas over the mountains with outstanding views, vistas, villages, goats, churches and so much more.

Great food, lower prices and since you'll be there in October which is when I go to Greece prices will be lower, there'll be less tourists and still nice weather.

You can also do the Delos/Mykonos day cruise so you'll not only get to experience one of the best World-Class Archeological sites of Delos but get a taste of Mykonos.

Some people like the more popular and heavily touristed Greek Islands while others prefer the quieter and more family friendly Greek Islands offering a bit more of the Greek tradition.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
8,798 posts
3. Re: More days in Naxos or Mykonos? feedback on general itinerary

I would stick with your plans, especially if you have your heart set on visiting Delos. Sometimes boats are cancelled due to high winds, so it is best to have an extra day in your pocket just in case. The first time I visited Delos I was glad to have that extra day, because boats were cancelled on the day I planned to go. The boat from Mykonos to Delos takes only 30 minutes, while the day trips from Naxos take 10 hours, and go only 3 days/week.

Level Contributor
85 posts
4. Re: More days in Naxos or Mykonos? feedback on general itinerary

great, thank you. we were able to get Hotel Aleons in Mykonos for 3 nights for $215 which I thought was a great deal. Hopefully we can also find some great affordable local eats in Mykonos too, though it may be easier to do that in Naxos.

Level Contributor
85 posts
5. Re: More days in Naxos or Mykonos? feedback on general itinerary

excellent point. i did not think about the distance between naxos and frequency of the boat...thank you!!! on a different note, do you think I should maybe decrease Santorini to 3 nights and get to Naxos a day earlier then? I LOVE Santorini but heard a few different suggestions regarding less days in Santorini from others. Thanks much.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
8,798 posts
6. Re: More days in Naxos or Mykonos? feedback on general itinerary

Although Mykonos is more expensive than Naxos, you can still find inexpensive places to eat. One you might look for is Taverna Marco Polo at Lakka Square, where I had an excellent fish dinner at about the same price I pay on Naxos and Paros. I enjoyed it so much I came back the next night, and got free wine with my dinner. DonnyB, who posted above, has a page on his blog suggesting other inexpensive restaurants.

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
6,356 posts
15 reviews
7. Re: More days in Naxos or Mykonos? feedback on general itinerary

We're just finishing all three islands, for the second time. My (personal) views :

I'd have 2 nights in Mykonos (it's really about the fun old town, but like Vegas, 2 days really is enough), just 2 in Santorini also (that view ! But just too busy with tourists and there's relatively little else to see) and as many days as you can in Naxos Town and Apiranthos.

Apollonas is an ok lunch stop but much better to do the Mt Zas walk instead if you have time and energy. La Vigne is a spectacularly good French bistro in Naxos Town.

Mike

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
8,798 posts
8. Re: More days in Naxos or Mykonos? feedback on general itinerary

We are cross-posting. It's up to you how to allocate your time, but personally I prefer Naxos to Santorini. There are many interesting things to see on Naxos, so an extra day there would be a good idea. As I wrote before, it's much better visiting Delos from Mykonos, which has several daily boats, so you can decide how long you wish to spend at the archeological site rather than the three hours the Naxos day tour allows. Here are some photos I took on one of my visits to Delos: https:/…72157627791957268

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
8,798 posts
9. Re: More days in Naxos or Mykonos? feedback on general itinerary

Ran out of time to edit. Two nights on an island means only one full day, so IMHO it's better to stick with at least three nights on each.

Level Contributor
85 posts
10. Re: More days in Naxos or Mykonos? feedback on general itinerary

Thank you thank you!!!

Get answers to your questions about Naxos Town
Recent Conversations