We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Red wines

rotherham
Level Contributor
549 posts
21 reviews
Red wines

Hi can you help?

I like a nice red wine Malbec is one of my fav, which is a nice wine to buy from the supermarket to have before going out to dinner.

Many thanks

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
23,881 posts
43 reviews
1. Re: Red wines

And what is your question ?

concord nh
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
54 reviews
2. Re: Red wines

I always buy the house/local wine whenever at a taverna or market. It's locally produced, usually available in plastic liter bottles with a screw-on cap. Don't let that deter you from buying it. It's really very good, low price and my choice of wines in Greece.

Unless you are a wine connoisseur which I am not, and want over-the-top expensive bottled wine then the House/Local wine is the way to go!

East Anglia, United...
Level Contributor
1,833 posts
35 reviews
3. Re: Red wines

The 5 litre boxed red wine from the local supermarket was our favorite and we got through a number of these on our visit a few weeks ago!

Edited: 24 July 2017, 15:10
rotherham
Level Contributor
549 posts
21 reviews
4. Re: Red wines

Sorry, what Greek wine is like a Malbec that I will be able to buy from the supermarket, I like a good rich red wine.

Edited: 25 July 2017, 10:47
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
8,302 posts
69 reviews
5. Re: Red wines

ladychesh, I knew what you were asking in your post -- we're Malbec fans and we have long been searching for comparable wines in Greece. In our experience, it has been very difficult to find a rich, robust and full-bodied Greek red that's comparable to a Malbec or as enjoyable to drink. Greek reds tend to be much lighter and thinner (and are served cold, not chilled) because Greeks prefer those characteristics for drinking during their hot summers.

We have found a few Greek reds that were almost as satisfying as a Malbec, but nowhere near as enjoyable. They have been from wineries in the Nemea and Achaia regions of the Peloponnese, and from areas in northern Greece. One particular red that we like, and that has almost always been available in supermarkets on the islands we have visited, is the Rapsani produced by the Tsantali family winery. It has been a decent and enjoyable substitute for Malbec that we'll buy to drink on our hotel balcony before going out to dinner.

Don't bother asking supermarket, taverna or restaurant staff to suggest a Greek wine that's like a Malbec -- we have learned that they either won't have a clue what you are looking for, or they will steer you to a wine that you probably won't like. Even staff in some wine bars have trouble making recommendations, so it's been hit and miss for us there.

However, on Naxos I recommend going to La Vigne Wine Bar in Naxos Town, where you'll probably be able to order Malbec by the glass or even purchase bottles. (We were thrilled when we stopped in a couple of years back and discovered the place had Malbecs and other robust wines.) The staff at La Vigne also seem more knowledgeable about international wines and how they compare to Greek reds, and might be able to make appropriate recommendations for particular wines to look for in supermarkets.

Avoid the local barrel wines that are sold in the plastic bottles and boxes in supermarkets -- you will be disappointed with them. They are drinkable but that's the only good thing I can say about them. The Greeks do a great job with white wine so lately we've been ordering that more often since it's almost always better than the house reds served in tavernas and restaurants.

East Anglia, United...
Level Contributor
1,833 posts
35 reviews
6. Re: Red wines

Hi we had a few glasses of red wine in La Vigne wine bar in Naxos town. Set in a peaceful location amongst the winding alleyways we used to pass it most nights on our way back to our accommodation. Cant remember what we ordered just on recommendation from the staff and highly recommend stopping here

rotherham
Level Contributor
549 posts
21 reviews
7. Re: Red wines

Thankyou all for your fab messages very helpful, thanks Donny for the info about Rapsani I will give it a go.

The La Vigne we only found it on our last night in Naxos last year so we will visit it this sept.

Yamas

8. Re: Red wines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2018, 00:18
Get answers to your questions about Naxos Town
Recent Conversations