We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greek Island Hopping Ferry Booking

Gloucester, Uk
Level Contributor
8 posts
130 reviews
Save Topic
Greek Island Hopping Ferry Booking

I am travelling with my wife to the Cyclades in August this year- I have pre-booked accommodation - do I need to do the same with ferries or can I book on arrival on each island? I need three crossings: Mykonos/Naxos, Naxos/Paros, Paros/Santorini, all as foot passengers. We need to travel on specific days but time is flexible.

Thank you for any suggestions.

13 replies to this topic
Ostend, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Argolis Region
Level Contributor
6,695 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Greek Island Hopping Ferry Booking

These are 3 crossings where you have multiple ferries every day, so I would just buy a ticket as you go along.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Greek Island Hopping Ferry Booking

As you know it's peak season, so the chances are greater for a ferry to be fully booked. With fixed dates you can book, but I would not do that too early as the cheaper ones are often later in coming out with schedules and booking facilities.

There are ticket agencies in all ports and islands for all ferries to buy tickets directly up until almost departure time.

UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
3,414 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Greek Island Hopping Ferry Booking

I would book Mykonos to Naxos, but not until about a month before you go. You may find it's possible to buy tickets on Mykonos when you get there, but since it's August it would be safer to book. For the other 2 journeys you have the option of Blue Star, which I would recommend that you take since it is a traditional ferry with open decks where you can sit and see the view. This is never full on journeys between the islands, because it comes from/to Piraeus and is only ever full on the journey between Piraeus and Paros, so for your journeys you will be able to buy tickets up to the day of travel.

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
5,064 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Greek Island Hopping Ferry Booking

I would not book in advance. Mykonos to Naxos will probably be the last leg of a ferry coming from Rafina, with most passengers leaving at Tinos and Mykonos. The same for the other connections. Buy the tickets when you are at the island.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
193 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Greek Island Hopping Ferry Booking

I am going in August and have already booked the ferries Santorini/Naxos Naxos/Mykonos . Why wait and risk it? They are not even that expensive and with fixed dates for check in/out in my hotels I don't want to risk it. Maybe there are more options later? Don't know but the options now were what I was looking for.

Leyburn, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Greek Island Hopping Ferry Booking

Hi,

ClaudiaOsm - we also need to book ferry tickets in July/August from Mykonos to Naxos and just wondered which website you used to book your tickets?

Thank you

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
8,595 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Greek Island Hopping Ferry Booking

Craig M, find out which ferries are running that day on gtp.gr or openseas.gr, then book on the ferry company’s own website. It’s better to deal directly with the ferry company you are travelling with — no extra service charges, and easier to exchange tickets or get refunds if changes are necessary. All the ferry companies have ticket agencies in the ports where they stop. Wait a few months before you book, because there may be more ferries than are listed at the moment.

Edited: 19 January 2018, 05:20
Ostend, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Argolis Region
Level Contributor
6,695 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Greek Island Hopping Ferry Booking

>>I am going in August and have already booked the ferries Santorini/Naxos Naxos/Mykonos . Why wait and risk it?<<

What will you do when the ferry you have booked doesn't show up? For instance because of a (rare) mechanical failure or a strike.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
8,595 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Greek Island Hopping Ferry Booking

Further to what Nicksy wrote: at least one ferry company on those routes is notorious for publishing its timetables early, then changing them just before the start of the season.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Greek Island Hopping Ferry Booking

" Why wait and risk it?"

The risk is very small, and the cheaper ferries are later coming out with schedules. The price does matter to most people, and many prefer a conventional ferry rather than hammering to each place by fast ferry.

Reply to: Greek Island Hopping Ferry Booking
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Naxos Town
Recent Conversations