We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The best accomodation: Chora or Ag. Georgios?

mantova
Level Contributor
60 posts
107 reviews
The best accomodation: Chora or Ag. Georgios?

Hello everyone! As you may understand, I need your advice...we will be in Naxos for 10 days, end of June and beginning of July, without a car, but I've learnt that the bus service is pretty good, so will use that to visit the beautiful beaches outside town. But where to sleep? I mean if I have to take a bus everyday for the beach, are there stops along the way or if I sleep in Ag. Georgios isit mandatory that I walk up to the port and the bus terminal, in order to get the tickets?

Ok, I'm not saying that a little work out wouldn't be useful to stay fit, but it could be tiring... On the other hand staying close to the 'Bourgos' and the Portara could have issues of some sorts?

As you can see, I'm VERY confused...and really need your help.

Thank you and...Happy Easter!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Naxos
Level Contributor
354 posts
70 reviews
1. Re: The best accomodation: Chora or Ag. Georgios?

No you don't have to walk into town, there is a bus stop for the beaches in Agios Georgios next to Rendezvous bakery and you can buy tickets in the bakery too :-)

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
23,737 posts
43 reviews
2. Re: The best accomodation: Chora or Ag. Georgios?

You will find bus stops all along the route the bus is running.

mantova
Level Contributor
60 posts
107 reviews
3. Re: The best accomodation: Chora or Ag. Georgios?

Thank you for your replies ! This will help me to choose the proper accomodation.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
5,618 posts
129 reviews
4. Re: The best accomodation: Chora or Ag. Georgios?

St George beach is part of Naxos town. It will take about 15 minutes for you to walk to the bus terminal at the port. When we go to the west coast beaches and we have had a bit of a slow start to the day we often will walk into town to catch the bus. While the stop at St George is quite handy any time after 10 the chances are that it will be standing room only by the time it gets to St George.

This is the only route that passes through St George. For the rest of the island you will need to pick up the bus at the terminal.

By the way you should purchase your return tickets when you purchase your outbound tickets. Tickets are not sold on the bus. There will be shops in some of the villages where you can purchase a ticket but its best to have it with you from the get go.

St George is a good beach. Not the best but a good one. So that gives you the option of a beach holiday with a 10 minute stroll to Naxos town waterfront promenade. You get all the benefits of a beach holiday plus the activities of town but get to sleep back at the beach. Greece urban areas can be very noisy at night. We always opt to stay in the quiet at St George.

Here are some images

St George Beach Hotels Naxos flickr.com/photos/…

St George Beach Naxos flickr.com/photos/…

Naxos Town flickr.com/photos/…

Trip around Naxos flickr.com/photos/…

mantova
Level Contributor
60 posts
107 reviews
5. Re: The best accomodation: Chora or Ag. Georgios?

Thank you stanbr, for all your infos and the photos! Yes I've learnt this thing that you cannot purchase your ticket on the bus, which is odd...In all the other Islands you can buy them on bus....Anyway...we've got few prices from different hotels and studios, and now we have to make up our minds...

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
23,737 posts
43 reviews
6. Re: The best accomodation: Chora or Ag. Georgios?

I usually stay a small distance outside town. In former times I sued to walk to town, but now my feet don't do too well (I am 70 years old), and there is a bus stop outside Naxos Camping close to where I stay, and I often have the bus to and from town. When buying tickets in the K-Tel office I usually buy 10 at a time. If I have any tickets left by the time I move to some other island I leave the tickets for the next person who comes to the same place.

Edited: 25 March 2016, 06:12
mantova
Level Contributor
60 posts
107 reviews
7. Re: The best accomodation: Chora or Ag. Georgios?

That's great greek-traveller! In fact I was wondering if it was possible to buy multiple tickets each time, not just the round trip ones.

Can't wait to get there...

uk
Level Contributor
523 posts
91 reviews
8. Re: The best accomodation: Chora or Ag. Georgios?

I was wondering the same about bus tickets - when we were last there we bought tickets each day and thought they were date stamped but obviously not ? -

So providing we want to do the same journey we can buy tickets in bulk ? is it the same price if you get off at agia Anna or Plaka ? Or is each ticket different depending on where you get on and off ?

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
23,737 posts
43 reviews
9. Re: The best accomodation: Chora or Ag. Georgios?

Since this was introduced I have always bought my tickets in bulck - no problem. For price ask when you buy them to get an overview.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chania Town, Naxos
Level Contributor
5,618 posts
129 reviews
10. Re: The best accomodation: Chora or Ag. Georgios?

My apologies for indicating there was a round trip ticket. In fact the tickets are all one way. When I said get your return ticket I meant buy two one way tickets so indeed you can buy several tickets at one time.

This thread is about the bus from Naxos town to the West coast beaches and the price is the same for each ticket.

If you are looking to travel to one of the mountain villages I believe some of the tickets are for specific villages and may be priced differently You need to clarify that at the ticket office don't assume the West coast beach ticket will get you to a mountain village.

Get answers to your questions about Naxos Town
Recent Conversations