We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry from Pireus to Naxos

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
18 reviews
Ferry from Pireus to Naxos

Has anyone taken the ferry recently please? We will land in Athens and have a ferry to Naxos from Pireus port.It would mean waiting for about 4-5 hours, in the heat, with luggage. Is it save there please? Which place is best to wait? Any cafe/bar etc? Any suggestions of how to make this trip smooth appreciated! Thank you

england
Level Contributor
102 posts
1. Re: Ferry from Pireus to Naxos

Hi, Have travelled from Athens airport on underground to Pireus Harbour last year and had to change onto different train lines , it took approx hour half. On my return I took the 96 bus which stops immediately outisde port gates which also took same time as train but no having to stuggle with luggage and only cost 5 E pay the driver baording,. These run regular, The best place to eat is at Athens airport, they have a super restaurant upstairs, food was amazing. At the port a couple of cafe's for a beer orcoffee but didnt see anyone eating.. Hope this helps you enjoy Naxos, I am returning for the 3rd time this year love it and plaka beach is amazing

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
8,716 posts
2. Re: Ferry from Pireus to Naxos

Best thing to do is stay at the airport until about two hours before ferry departure, then take the X96 bus to Piraeus.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
18 reviews
3. Re: Ferry from Pireus to Naxos

Thank you, very helpful!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
18 reviews
4. Re: Ferry from Pireus to Naxos

thanks a lot for that

new
Level Contributor
463 posts
20 reviews
5. Re: Ferry from Pireus to Naxos

I wouldn't wait that much. Bus from airport to port needs with traffic jam about 1,5 hours sometimes even more, if you are there for the first time half an hour could be not enough, port is huge.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
23,739 posts
43 reviews
6. Re: Ferry from Pireus to Naxos

Main port of Piraeus

http://tinyurl.com/d5je2l

england
Level Contributor
102 posts
7. Re: Ferry from Pireus to Naxos

Actually you have a valued point, we did experience a bit of confusion to which boat we were sailing on, it was pouring with rain and only when running upto staff on a boat about to depart did we manage to confirm it was ours. We were unable to find any port staff to help us , so being early is best.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
60 posts
6 reviews
8. Re: Ferry from Pireus to Naxos

A friend has just returned from Paros via Athens and Piraeus and the situation at the port is very depressing. There are thousands of immigrants camped out in the port area which creates a very intense, stressful and shocking environment. Her recommendation is to avoid Piraeus if you can, if you can't the least time you have to spend there the better.

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
5,104 posts
216 reviews
9. Re: Ferry from Pireus to Naxos

The airport express X96 is now €6 per person. Takes about one and a half hour.

There were refugees in Pireus port, but I dont think they are there any more.

You find several small tavernas in the building next to the Blue Star ferries. If you have more time, you may store your luggage in the port and walk into the "proper" Pireus town, (15 min walk) where you find pedestrian streets with shops, tavernas and outdoor bars, I have never felt unsafe in Pireus or anywhere else in Greece. There wil be people tryig to sell you CDs, sun-glasses, fake Rolexes and so on but I never feel them threatening, and they are never as intrusive like in Turkey.

UK
Destination Expert
for Cyclades
Level Contributor
3,465 posts
10 reviews
10. Re: Ferry from Pireus to Naxos

Last Summer I had a few hours to pass before getting a ferry at Piraeus. I took the metro from the airport to Monastiraki (in the centre of Athens) where I found a few tavernas in the square and a pedestrian-only street off the square. I had lunch and hung around a bit in one of these tavernas watching the world go by before getting the other metro line to Piraeus. I found this more pleasant than hanging around in the airport or at Piraeus. I know it is not as convenient as the X96 bus which is direct so it might not suit people who have a lot of heavy luggage.

Get answers to your questions about Naxos Town
Recent Conversations