We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Food Realy That Bad in Cuba?

Ontario
Level Contributor
254 posts
Save Topic
Is Food Realy That Bad in Cuba?

We have never been to Cuba and I have always liked to see the beautiful beaches that i have heard so much about.

Everyone we talk to has said the food is realy bad and not to go because of my kids being such picky eaters.

Realy how bad can it realy be?

As long as there is hotdogs, hamburgers, pizza fries and chicken my kids will be quite content.

Why does everyone have something to say about the food?

Ontario
Level Contributor
254 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Is Food Realy That Bad in Cuba?

Ok thanks - i am not worried now!

One more question though i know this is the Cayo Coco forum but where would you recommend - i mean area - Varadero, Cayos ect?

I want nice beach, big pool and a little water park area for the kids would be a plus and little things to keep kids happy.

I would also like to be able to walk to any little markets/villages?

Do most have water stuff like pedal boats and kayaks ect on the beach area?

Tring, United...
Level Contributor
1,844 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Is Food Realy That Bad in Cuba?

they started it early in the morning , had one of the gardeners sat all day turning it over a hot bed of charcoal, was lovely come mid afternoon

Canada
Level Contributor
3,845 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Is Food Realy That Bad in Cuba?

Personally, I think the idea that Cuba has bad food is exaggerated and undeserved.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
33,507 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Is Food Realy That Bad in Cuba?

They certainly do better AI food better than most European resorts. They are something that need to be avoided!!

Tring, United...
Level Contributor
1,844 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Is Food Realy That Bad in Cuba?

It can be a bit bland , lack of spices but i like fresh fish and lobster and when they spit roast whole pigs and cows at the Tryp at lunch time who on earth can complain ?

toronto
Level Contributor
754 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Is Food Realy That Bad in Cuba?

We have never had a problem our first five trips but did not enjoy the food at Sol Cayo Coco at all. If it had been our first trip to Cuba, I may have agreed that the food in Cuba was bad. That being said, we were there over New Years when many of the "poor" reviews were written and maybe this is not the norm.

toronto
Level Contributor
3,032 posts
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: Is Food Realy That Bad in Cuba?

Roast pork, chicken, turkey, beef, hotdogs, burgers, fries, pizza, pasta and eggs (made to your liking), rice, beans, fruits and vegetables etc, they have it all, if someone can't something to eat something is wrong with them, I've had no problems.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
833 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Is Food Realy That Bad in Cuba?

No it isn't. I have to be the world's pickiest eater and can assure you although the food might not be haute cuisine, after thirteen Cuba vacations and visits to seven resorts which actually makes me a bit of a rookie compared to many people, the food is fairly good, there is always something to suit even the fussiest eater. There are always burgers, fries, hot dogs and lots of other stuff that kids will enjoy. If they are catsup fanatics take your own Heinz. Relax, go and enjoy. You go once, chances are you will be back.

Edited: 25 January 2011, 12:14
Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
745 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Is Food Realy That Bad in Cuba?

Cat,

Okay,

So, the only complaint regarding food I have in Cuba, would be the general overall lack of seasoning and I am not talking “heat” as in hot sauce, I am talking spices such as garlic, basil, oregano, coriander and so forth, also, depending on the resort or season, the lack of some of the North American “staples” we have come to expect when travelling south (fresh fruit being one of them)…

Okay so based on the requirements stated in your second post, here is a list of some of the resorts I think could fit your profile and hopefully offer you a place a start to your research :

Cayo Santa Maria (but the closest town is actually just a tourist village)

Melia Las Dunas

Barcelo Cayo Santa Maria

Holguin Area

Playa Pesquero

Sol Luna Mares

Sirenis Playa Turquesa

Varadero

Iberostar Laguna Azul

Iberostar Varadero

It’s a start anyway…

The Budges

Edited: 25 January 2011, 12:21
Hamilton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
1 review
Save Reply
20. Re: Is Food Realy That Bad in Cuba?

I can recommend 2 resorts that somewhat fit what you are looking for.

Playa Pesquero (Holguin area in the tourist brochures) - great resort for food; beach and pool - also has a great kids club. The closest town is Guardalavaca, but you can't walk, you can take a train that runs from the resort to the town/market area. Cost I believe is 5CUC round trip.

My second would be Sireis la Salina in Varadero - this one is just as good, one plus for the kiddies is the waterslide at the activity pool! You cannot walk into downtown but can take the double decker bus for 5CUC - you can ride all day (hop on - hop off) might be fun for the kids!

Both resorts are very large, we have been to both and enjoyed them a lot!

Can't comment on the Cayos - have yet to get there!

Good luck with your planning -

Get answers to your questions about Cayo Coco