We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Food Realy That Bad in Cuba?

Ontario
Level Contributor
254 posts
Save Topic
Is Food Realy That Bad in Cuba?

We have never been to Cuba and I have always liked to see the beautiful beaches that i have heard so much about.

Everyone we talk to has said the food is realy bad and not to go because of my kids being such picky eaters.

Realy how bad can it realy be?

As long as there is hotdogs, hamburgers, pizza fries and chicken my kids will be quite content.

Why does everyone have something to say about the food?

Consett, United...
Level Contributor
19,358 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Is Food Realy That Bad in Cuba?

Not directly an answer to the OP's question but....

It never ceases to amaze me that people talk about how bad the food is in Cuba. When these statements are made they are usually followed by, could not wait to get home and eat at our....( insert some fast food franchise).

Now does that say something about what they are used to eating?

In a lot of cases the food being bad statement should be removed and, not to our taste be inserted.

Kitchener, ON
Level Contributor
133 posts
1 review
Save Reply
22. Re: Is Food Realy That Bad in Cuba?

I my opinion, the food in Cuba is great. But I love fish! (not that it's the only thing there) But, this being said, the food be lacking in some flavour (spices, garlic, etc) and may things (beef, cheese) may taste different, not bad, just different.

Any livestock can taste different depending on what they are feed, and most places do not feed their livestock what North Americans do. I think that this is the reason for the difference in tast. In reality, it MAY actually be better for you.

Consett, United...
Level Contributor
19,358 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Is Food Realy That Bad in Cuba?

Yes food in Cuba actually tastes how it should. No pesticides and GM products there.

Food is basically organic, and that is expensive in the UK as is supposed to be better for you.!

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
14,382 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: Is Food Realy That Bad in Cuba?

Gee … I was under the understanding that most of the food served on resorts is imported – with beef & chicken coming mainly from USA & Brazil, and not being exactly “organic”.

Of course, some locally produced products may be more organic, although they would hardly be found at most multi-nationally operated AIs, but maybe more at a local paladar.

Canada
Level Contributor
3,845 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Is Food Realy That Bad in Cuba?

I have a perfect example of this sort of thing. On my very first trip I discovered that the tomatoes in Cuba are really excellent. I was at the buffet loading up on some and overheard a couple next to me commenting on how awful the tomatoes looked. I told them how good they were but..... they passed. On the same trip a cook brought out a nice sized whole red snapper. Another woman saw this as well and we both sprinted toward it. Being a gentleman I allowed her to go first. We chatted about how good the fish had been at the resort. It was amazing! and I ended up getting seconds. Both times I watched people reel in revulsion at the fish with the head and fins on it. Their loss and more for me!

Consett, United...
Level Contributor
19,358 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Is Food Realy That Bad in Cuba?

You may be correct at the meat, but I stand by the food tasting how it should do.

Food is also served in season.

The things like mangoes, pineapple ( apart from those tinned ones) and avocados actually have a taste to them. They don't have the food miles on them that we are used to in the UK for instance.

Canada
Level Contributor
3,845 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Is Food Realy That Bad in Cuba?

diva makes some great points. Many people have such horrible eating habits that going to Cuba would be like being forced onto a proper healthy diet, and they hate it. Even the snacks and cookies you buy in Cuba have way less salt and sugar in them. The fresh fruit and vegetable observation is spot on! Every so often I take a chance and purchase a mango in Ontario. Haven't had a decent one yet. Same for most tropical fruits. I stop buying fresh tomatoes when they are out of season locally, the ones shipped from the southern US in winter taste like crap. They are hybridized for looks and transportability but certainly NOT for taste.

Edited: 25 January 2011, 14:39
Cuba
Level Contributor
13,053 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Is Food Realy That Bad in Cuba?

Yep

Just wait till the pre-formed burgers arrive

Cambridge, Canada
Level Contributor
1,867 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Is Food Realy That Bad in Cuba?

I agree with Diva. People forget the food is organic and they are not used to it because they have been saturated with all kinds of processed foods.

It makes me laugh too when I read reviews about people running to the first fast food joint they can find just so they can something to "eat".

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
14,382 posts
Save Reply
30. Re: Is Food Realy That Bad in Cuba?

Many of us would have scurvy if we relied on locally produced produce to get through the off-season here in Canada! LOL The reality is that most Canadians are dependant on low-priced imports for much of the food on our tables.

When I pick strawberries in the summer I either eat them or freeze them on the same day. What the heck am I really eating when I go to my local supermarket on a frigid January afternoon & get a pint of berries (which are all the same size and look perfect) from Chile that were probably picked two weeks ago?

Cuba does grow some really, really good produce that is served in resorts – cabbage, cucumbers, malenga, tomatoes, etc. Unfortunately, many tourists snub their nose at some of the locally grown products because they aren’t perfect … (Yuck, that tomato has a blemish), so they are rejected.

Edited: 25 January 2011, 15:06