We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

more info about visitng wines please....

Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,244 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
more info about visitng wines please....

As it gets closer for us to visit the Napa area I have thought og two more questions....1. do you have to do a wine tour, or can we just do the tasting?

2. I am noticing there are different appellations for the wines/grapes and I am wondering where I can get information telling me what each one is known for....

thank you....

should have been visiting and wineries....sorry about that

Edited: 14 April 2012, 13:33
Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,051 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: more info about visitng wines please....

Hi Jil,

No need to do a tour at the wineries unless you're really interested in seeng the vineyards and learning about their process from grape to bottle. A good source for info about appellations and the varieties of grapes that flourish best in them is "California Wine" by James Laube of Wine Spectator. Besides comprehensive reviews of almost all of California wineries and wines, it includes a chapter on applelations that should answer your questions.

united states
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: more info about visitng wines please....

Doesn't the Prieser Key have a breakdown of AVA's, too?

Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,244 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: more info about visitng wines please....

Thanks John....I want to make sure I go to wineries that specialize in Cabs, zins and petite sirahs.(I am looking at all the ones that have been recommended and there are many more then I have days for ..

....and otherfootloos....what is the Prieser Key?

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,051 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: more info about visitng wines please....

The Preiser Key is an on-line listing of wineries in Napa and Sonoma Counties. Gives address, phone number and hours/whether or not it's open to the public. Perhaps my search skills weren't kicking in, but I didn't see a lot of info re: AVA's and the varietals that thrive there.

Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,244 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: more info about visitng wines please....

thanks John...i did not see it either...as for getting the book I doubt I will be able to get it and read it before I get there...so I will wing it a bit...

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,414 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: more info about visitng wines please....

For info about Napa Valley AVAs, check out this site first:

napavintners.com/about/napa_valley_appellati…

Then you can google each appellation and find it's website which will list the various wineries located within it. Bear in mind though, that many wineries have vineyards or buy grapes from areas that they are not located in.

Once you have the districts down, you can use this site to search the particular varietal you are looking for:

http://www.napawineproject.com/

Just enter the grape variety in the search bar.

Napa Valley is best known for Cabernet Sauvignon. Most of the appellations above Yountville make very famous and expensive cabs.

Fine Zinfandels and Petite Sirahs are also produced but they are harder to find. Use that search feature I mention above.

united states
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: more info about visitng wines please....

Prieser Key is actually a printed booklet, but they have recently created an on-line site, too.

Venice, www.napavintners.com will get you to a home page and there is an appellations tab that will get you to explainations of the Napa Valley Appellations, including what grows where and the soil types associated with each area.

If an off line resource would suit you as well, then "The Wine Bible" by K. McNeil is an excellent one.

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,826 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: more info about visitng wines please....

Take a look at napavintners.com/about/napa_valley_appellati…

Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,244 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: more info about visitng wines please....

WOW thank you all..TA is the best....

Napa
Level Contributor
2,486 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: more info about visitng wines please....

...and then when you get to town, your hotel probably has the Preiser Key. It's a free publication - I don't leave home without it if I'm tasting wine. Every winery is listed. So glad they now also have one for Sonoma. :)

www.preiserkey.com/