We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kosher in Napa Valley

ny
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Kosher in Napa Valley

We (my husband and I) are thinking about visiting Napa Valley however, we are kosher eaters. We hears that there is one kosher winery in Napa Valley. Is it still worth it to make the trip if we will not be able to drink or eat anything other than in that winery? We would also like to visit a spa and shop. Is there enough to justify a trip to the area? If so need recommendations for a beautiful hotel with spa.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kosher in Napa Valley

This might help jewishnapavalley.com/templates/articlecco_cd…

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,128 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kosher in Napa Valley

Outside the kosher winery in Napa Valley, I think you do need to do some research on what to do and see in the valley outside of wine. Biking Hiking, spa as you said, all depends on what else you would like to do and for how long. Do look at spas all over the valley and to ask for a beautiful hotel with spa, there are many beautiful hotels with spa but they are $$$ to $$$$ so it all depends on your budget

jewishnapavalley.com/templates/articlecco_cd…

Al types faster than I do. Good morning Al.

Edited: 23 May 2013, 11:28
Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,228 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kosher in Napa Valley

There are two kosher places, as far as I know.

Covenant Wines has non-meshuval wine but I'm not sure fo their hescher. You must contact them first for visits. Here is their info: http://www.covenantwines.com/contact-us

The other is the larger Hagafen Cellars. www.hagafen.com/Visit-Us/Our-Tasting-Room

As to whether it's worth it to visit...sure it is!

Plenty of spa places (look at Saratoga also)

I do not have any current info about kosher B&B's or inns. If anything, contact Chabad of Napa at 707-320-2348 to see if they can help you.

Have fun!

Dr. Z

ny
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Kosher in Napa Valley

Thanks for all the info. I am checking into other activities as well. As far as hotel I am willing to spend as this is a special trip so can you recommend a few of the nicest that are in the region of the two kosher wineries.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kosher in Napa Valley

good morning Belo.

The good news is that Chabad services are available to help travellers enjoy vacations better.

…wsj.com/articles/…

St. Helena...
Destination Expert
for Napa Valley
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kosher in Napa Valley

You may want to connect with Allen Balik, one of our local wine writers with a weekly wine column 'The Wine Exchange' in the Napa Register newspaper. Allen is an expert in all things kosher, here in Napa Valley and abroad.

Here is his website 'The Underground Wine Letter':

undergroundwineletter.com/tag/allen-balik/

You might also enjoy reading a newly published book written by a couple locals about Napa Valley's rich Jewish history:

jweekly.com/article/…

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,228 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kosher in Napa Valley

From that article that NacilnNapa referenced..... "...She and Michalski learned that Jews flocked to Napa in the wake of the 1849 Gold Rush, opening dry goods stores and providing other necessities to the region’s growing population..."

One of those was my Great-Great- Grandfather who emigrated from Prussia via NY and opened a dry goods store in Poker Flat, CA !!

Much of the documentation, photographs, and artifacts from his story and much more local Jewish history is on display at the Magnes Collection of Jewish art and Life in Berkeley. A worthwhile stop.

http://www.magnes.org/

Dr. Z

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,128 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kosher in Napa Valley

As far as resorts and spas go, check the Trip advisor hotel section. The valley is not that large so the solage or Auberge or Bardessono or Meadowood are great resorts but they do not serve Kosher. But the mark of a fab resort which is $$$$ is to find a way to get it done for you. The concierges there can help you with reservations, food, spa bookings etc.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
13,303 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kosher in Napa Valley

I work in a hotel in SF, and many of our guests who keep Kosher eat at vegetarian restaurants since there are so few Kosher restaurants in the area. Might that work for you in Napa?

The other option is that there are services that can prepare and deliver Kosher meals to you at a hotel, ready to eat. A local hotel concierge might know if there is anything like that in the Napa area.

10. Re: Kosher in Napa Valley

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2014, 00:16