We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui December 15-22 Need advice. Should I stay away from HK

Iowa
Level Contributor
113 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Maui December 15-22 Need advice. Should I stay away from HK

I am trying to book a vacation for the week before Christmas. The rates seem to be pretty good this week. I started off wanting to stay at the Westin than the Sheraton and now Honau Kai. The only reservations I am having is the weather really that bad during that time of year? I read that it is super windy at the HK? Should we consider not staying in west maui? Sorry for all the questions but it is a big trip for us and I want to do everything in my power to make it great. Thank you so much Nicole

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,543 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui December 15-22 Need advice. Should I stay away from HK

No, generally speaking the weather isn't bad at all!! You just have to remember that December is a winter month and that means rain in Hawaii. No way of telling whether there will be a storm when you come. It could be windy or not. Hawaii is windy, that is a fact. Honua Kai is about as far as I would go on west/north Maui during the winter months. The best, most consistent ocean conditions will be found in south Maui at this time.

Iowa
Level Contributor
9,345 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui December 15-22 Need advice. Should I stay away from HK

We were at HK first part of last December and Sheraton mid December a couple of years ago. We had a wonderful time at both, but preferred Honua Kai. The weather was not a problem. It was nicer than our January trips were and way nicer than home in Iowa! Aloha

Teri

Edited: 05 March 2012, 15:32
Central Valley...
Level Contributor
219 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui December 15-22 Need advice. Should I stay away from HK

We stayed at Honua Kai during the first 8 days of December in 2010 and I only remember one particularly windy day, no cold days at all and no rain during the day. It was also very quiet at that time of year before the Christmas rush begins. It was fantastic!

Iowa
Level Contributor
113 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui December 15-22 Need advice. Should I stay away from HK

Teri, I live in Des Moines. Anywhere would be better than here in the winter. I want to book soon I just did not know if it would be safer to book in south maui. I am worried about those crazy winds

Arroyo Grande...
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui December 15-22 Need advice. Should I stay away from HK

You live in Iowa and you're concerned about the weather on Maui? You will be one happy clam - and even if it rains, it won't be cold. If you are taking your family ... a condo would be preferable. Honua Kai or the Westin VILLAS. The Sheraton is great if there are just two of you. I would stay away from the Westin Resort and Spa.

Reserve your car as soon as you have your dates.

Wind is a blessing - as it keeps the humidity low. You're out in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, so winds are common - buy generally not a big deal.

Iowa
Level Contributor
9,345 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui December 15-22 Need advice. Should I stay away from HK

Nicole, If you are worried about wind on your Lanai, get an interior courtyard unit. Beautiful views and no wind. Snorkel in the mornings, the wind might kick in a little in the afternoon. That's when you go out to lunch or exploring the island. You will love it!

Aloha

Teri

Iowa
Level Contributor
113 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Maui December 15-22 Need advice. Should I stay away from HK

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the advice

8. Re: Maui December 15-22 Need advice. Should I stay away from HK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 14:40