We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bay of island and motor homes

Level Contributor
2 posts
29 reviews
Bay of island and motor homes

Hi fello travellers

Question to you. How long do you need in the Bay of Islands to see it comfortably.

I am also putting together a NZ trip for Jan/Fen 2017. Any recommendations for motor home rental companies

Miffy. M

Oz
Level Contributor
14,798 posts
50 reviews
1. Re: Bay of island and motor homes

Hi,

>>Question to you. How long do you need in the Bay of Islands to see it comfortably.<<

It depends on your comfort levels and activities you plan.

A week would suit most.

>>I am also putting together a NZ trip for Jan/Fen 2017. Any recommendations for motor home rental companies<<

You haven't already booked ? You are too late for most. Try a search for Reputable Compliant Camper Vans, NZ.

Good Luck !

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
39,716 posts
443 reviews
2. Re: Bay of island and motor homes

As above - interests/budget - do you plan to do a full day coach trip to Cape Reinga or self drive (allowing approx 2 days); Do you plan to visit the kauri forests as a day trip from BoI or is that a separate part of your stay in Northland? i.e. how many days have you allocated for Northland in total? Are you walkers, or interested in history or...?

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
17,935 posts
130 reviews
3. Re: Bay of island and motor homes

Hi Miffy,

I suggest 3 nights in the BOI itself, and a day either side for travel. You could drive north using SH1 all the way, and return to Auckland through Hokianga and Waipoua Forest.

Extra days will see you drive to the Far North (Cape Karikari) before returning south through Ahipara and the Hokianga car-ferry to Rawene.

You may find a suitable vehicle. Stay at DOC sites (basic) and holiday parks (modest), of which there are a number located around Northland/Far North. March - April are also nice months, weather wise.

Level Contributor
2 posts
29 reviews
4. Re: Bay of island and motor homes

Thank you for your help and information guys. Here's hoping I'm not too late in booking a motor home

5. Re: Bay of island and motor homes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2017, 00:15