We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Idyllwild hotel

Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
4 posts
22 reviews
7 helpful votes
Idyllwild hotel

I used to stay at a place called the Idyllwild Resort on a Atlantic Avenue. Does it still exist or has it changed names? It was a small, quaint family run hotel.

16 replies to this topic
Virginia
Level Contributor
717 posts
34 reviews
61 helpful votes
1. Re: Idyllwild hotel

I think that closed many years back. Probably bought out but I don’t know by who.

Virginia
Level Contributor
6,829 posts
15 reviews
55 helpful votes
2. Re: Idyllwild hotel

Mike E, what time frame are you talking about?

Virginia
Level Contributor
717 posts
34 reviews
61 helpful votes
3. Re: Idyllwild hotel

I am not Mike, but I am pretty sure that is the name of a hotel I stayed in late 90s early 2000s ( a family member had reserved the rooms ). It was a small family owned hotel at the time.

Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
4 posts
22 reviews
7 helpful votes
4. Re: Idyllwild hotel

It would have been the late 90's, early 2000's. We haven't been back for a while but are planning going a trip for the Boardwalk art festival.

Virginia
Level Contributor
6,829 posts
15 reviews
55 helpful votes
5. Re: Idyllwild hotel

This is probably what you're thinking of. First, bad news...it's gone. Three of the smaller old hotels were demo'd for the new Hyatt House Hotel. Here is a blurb mentioning the IDLEWHYLE Motel...that could be what you're thinking of. This mentions the facts but I can't bring up the full page to read...it's from 2014. The Idlewhyle became Seaside which then was demolished. But the article below this first onec says pretty much the same in a full article.

Two Virginia Beach Oceanfront hotels to close | Inside Business ...

pilotonline.com/...virginia-beach...hotels..…

Apr 4, 2014 - By Lydia Wheeler lydia.wheeler@insidebiz.com A new hotel in Virginia Beach could replace two hotels on prime Oceanfront real estate. The Seaside Hotel, formerly known as the Idlewhyle Motel, and the.

Second article:

Hyatt House opens on Oceanfront and tourists likely won't notice what ...

pilotonline.com › Business › Real Estate

Apr 14, 2017 - After facing some challenges the new 27th street Hyatt House Hotel at the Virginia Beach Oceanfront opened Thursday, April 13, 2017. .... The 19-story Oceanfront high-rise at 2705 Atlantic Ave. replaced three demolished motels – the Sea Gull Inn, Sunshine Inn and Seaside Hotel – and a Dairy Queen.

Virginia
Level Contributor
6,829 posts
15 reviews
55 helpful votes
6. Re: Idyllwild hotel

Here's pic of IDLEWHYLE Hotel. See if it's what you remember. I see you can buy the postcard of the demolished hotel to add to your memory book if you like.

https:/…

Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
4 posts
22 reviews
7 helpful votes
7. Re: Idyllwild hotel

That's it. Too bad that it got pushed out for a big chain. Many memories there. Thanks for your help.

Virginia
Level Contributor
6,829 posts
15 reviews
55 helpful votes
8. Re: Idyllwild hotel

Mike E, Sorry it's not still there for you.

How about choosing among some remaining older ones...

Cutty Sark vintage hotel and historic cottages, for example. They are across the street from the oceanfront hotels but at a corner where some rooms have an unobstructed view of the boardwalk.

Other choices oceanfront might be Capes, Belvedere, Econolodge on the Ocean, Ocean Key, Dolphin Inn , Oceanfront Inn. There are a few others as well.

Let us know how it goes.

Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
9. Re: Idyllwild hotel

I remember staying there with my family when I was 14 years old--back in 1970. It was run by a Greek family named, "Christos or Christie", if I remember correctly. They were really nice people and had a son and daughter around my age or just a few years younger. They treated all their guests like family. My parents stayed in touch with them for many years afterwards. Unfortunately, we never made it back there. Too bad the hotel business has become so corporate and these wonderful mom & pop motels are disappearing.

Edited: 17 April 2018, 18:27
Virginia
Level Contributor
6,829 posts
15 reviews
55 helpful votes
10. Re: Idyllwild hotel

Steve N, nice memories. Thanks for your comments. Hope you have a great summer. Maybe come back to Va Beach.

Reply to: Idyllwild hotel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Virginia Beach