We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Williamsburg, VA in September, 2013

Which Williamsburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Friendswood, Texas
3 posts
Save Topic
Williamsburg, VA in September, 2013

Next month my husband and I will be visiting Williamsburg for 6 days - family reunion type thing. We will be staying at Wyndham Gov Green (in laws have time share). No young kids will be with us - all non drinking adults over age of 45. Any suggestions on what to see & where to go eat our evening meals? I will more than likely be the only family member (out of 8 people) who is not interested in historical war attractions (yes I will go, also want to keep to a minimum) and the in-laws are 65+ years old so waterparks/amusement parks are out. I know the primary purpose is to enjoy family time and relax. any suggestion? Husband and I from Texas, in-laws are from Canada and others are from New York and Richmond, VA. Thank you so much for advice. Georgie

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
11,510 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Williamsburg, VA in September, 2013

I might recommend shuffling around groups based on interests for the daytime activities and everyone gets together in the evening for a group dinner. First of all, it would give each person or family unit the chance to do something they enjoy that the others might not. (E.g. you would get a pass on some of the historical stuff one day to go to Busch Gardens which is a fabulous amusement park). Second of all, it would give the groups something to talk about in the evenings. (We were recently on a cruise and had such fun at dinner with our tablemates recounting what we did. Each group did something different in every port and we all enjoyed hearing about the others' adventures.) Finally, by shuffling the groups around into smaller groups, you'll have more one-on-one time with those family members. (E.g. Each sibling could have a day alone with the parents/in-laws--something every parent loves!)

With 6 days, you should be able to have a good combination of individual/parental/full group activities. Even the closest of families would probably appreciate some "non-group" day activities, especially when you are getting together every night.

Williamsburg, VA
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Williamsburg, VA in September, 2013

Suggest you have a look at the top questions listed here at the left of this forum -- there's good information there about the area and what to do here. As far as dining suggestions, perhaps if you list the types of dining you're interested in, specific recommendations will follow. It's also a good idea to take a look at the dining and attraction reviews here.

Friendswood, Texas
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Williamsburg, VA in September, 2013

Good things for me to think about.... sometimes togetherness can be excessive. As for suggetions for dinner I think that the majority of our group likes seafood and mexican.

I did read about the ghost tours, are they geared towards children/teens and would it be something adults might enjoy?

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
11,510 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Williamsburg, VA in September, 2013

There are two ghost tours offered by Colonial Williamsburg. A few years ago, we did the one called "Tavern Ghost Walk". I've done a lot of ghost tours and this would not rank among the best I've done. It was OK for adults but there were a lot of kids on the tour and I felt it was geared more towards them.

There is another one called "Ghosts Among Us" that says it is not appropriate for young children. It might be better for adults, but I don't have any personal knowledge of it.

Williamsburg, VA
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Williamsburg, VA in September, 2013

See the "Top Questions" to the right of this forum for a good discussion about ghost walks. CW's Tavern Ghost Walk is the best program for adults and kids alike.

6. Re: Williamsburg, VA in September, 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2014, 01:22