We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road travel

Covington, Indiana
1 post
1 review
Road travel
Save

Driving from Indianapolis to federal way road conditions best roads to travel in April 2018

2 replies to this topic
Bellingham...
Level Contributor
11,313 posts
99 reviews
109 helpful votes
1. Re: Road travel
Save

If it's just a matter of getting from Indy to Federal Way as efficiently as possible, it's straightforward. Here's a link to the Road Trip forum if you want to get more detailed:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Trips.html

Once you're in WA, you can check the mountain pass conditions on the Dept of Transportation site.

http://www.wsdot.com/traffic/passes/

~ Colleen

Tacoma, Washington
Level Contributor
368 posts
55 reviews
31 helpful votes
2. Re: Road travel
Save

Last time I drove this was a decade ago, and it took 3 days with very few stops (1880s Town & Mt Rushmore were our only diversions.)

When you get to Washington your fastest route is I-90 west to SR 18 west. Snoqualmie Pass (I-90) and Tiger Mountain Summit (SR 18) in April should both be fine. An alternative that looks good on paper but will get you into a lot of really bad city traffic is I-90 to I-405 to I-5. SR 18 is an excellent route that avoids the traffic mess that is Seattle's east and south suburbs, although I have used this route sparingly when there is an accident on SR 18, probably once out of the last 20 times I've driven this route.

Do check traffic as you approach Snoqualmie Pass, as accidents and construction can cause significant slowdowns, both on I-90 and SR 18, as there aren't a lot of real good alternatives. Google Maps is a great resource.

Ellensburg & Cle Elum are good places to stop for a meal and gas.

Reply to: Road travel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Federal Way
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.