We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sightseeing between Burlington and Seattle

Houma, Louisiana
Level Contributor
52 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Sightseeing between Burlington and Seattle

My husband and I are flying into SEATAC the middle of July and renting a car to visit Mt Rainer,

ONP and San Juan Islands. We were going to spend the final 2 nights with friends on Whidbey Is. But plans change and we're not. I still want to ferry from San Juan to Whidbey to see Deception Pass. But then I'm thinking of taking Hwy 20 to the mainland. So the question is: What is there of interest to see/do between Burlington and Seattle? And what town would be best to stay in?

Mentioned in this post
SeaTac
SeaTac
Washington
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
9 replies to this topic
Port Townsend...
Level Contributor
3,804 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sightseeing between Burlington and Seattle

I'm afraid I''m not quite able to follow your route from your post. I got that you were going to Mt. Rainer and ONP. I didn't see how you were getting from ONP to Burlington. I would normally assume that you would take the Port Townsend-Coupeville Ferry, but that doesn't really fit with your question. Usually I would suggest driving down Whidbey Island from Burlington and taking the Mulkiteo ferry to Everett. You would drive right by the Boeing Factory Tour if interested. However, if you have already visited Whidbey on your way fromONP, that wouldn't be the best route.

Mentioned in this post
Port Townsend
Port Townsend
Washington
Everett
Everett
Washington
Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
5,680 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sightseeing between Burlington and Seattle

Why not still visit Whidbey, staying in Langley or Coupeville?

Another option would be to drive over the North Cascades Hwy (hwy 20), which is the most scenic in the state and one of the most scenic in the country. It's a convenient route street the San Juans. You could do the whole Cascade Loop, staying in Winthrop, Chelan or Leavenworth (Bavarian themed town), or, just stay in Winthrop and head back to 1-5 the next day.

Neither of these options is along 1-5, as that, between Burlington and Seattle is largely the metro area.

Mentioned in this post
Langley
Langley
British Columbia, Canada
Winthrop
Winthrop
Washington
Chelan
Chelan
Washington
Leavenworth
Leavenworth
Washington
Bavarian Lodge
Bavarian Lodge
2,306 Reviews
Leavenworth, WA
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Houma, Louisiana
Level Contributor
52 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sightseeing between Burlington and Seattle

Sorry I wasn't more clear. We're basically making a loop from Mt Rainer, ONP, ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria, then ferry from Sydney to Friday Harbor, where we're spending 5 nights. On August 2nd we'll ferry to Anacortes. It does make sense to just drive down Whidbey and maybe spend the night in Langley. Any suggestions to lodging and dining? Any great lunch place mid-island?

My husband was a helicopter crew chief in the Navy and is into aviation. The Boeing Factory Tour sounds really interesting. Also the Museum of Flight. I imagine these 2 could take up Aug 3rd, especially if we ferry over in the morning. We have a noon flight out of SEATAC on the 4th. If we spend the night in Everett, what time would we have to leave for the airport?

Thanks for the input!!

Mentioned in this post
Port Angeles
Port Angeles
Washington
Victoria
Victoria
Vancouver Island, Canada
Friday Harbor
Friday Harbor
San Juan Island, WA
Anacortes
Anacortes
Fidalgo Island, WA
Langley
Langley
British Columbia, Canada
The Museum of Flight
The Museum of Flight
5,986 Reviews
Seattle, WA
SeaTac
SeaTac
Washington
Everett
Everett
Washington
Port Townsend...
Level Contributor
3,804 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sightseeing between Burlington and Seattle

Thanks for the clarification. I would definitely drive down Whidbey Island from Anacortes. You can stay on the island or end up in Mulkiteo at the end of the day. You will want to get a good start over to the Boeing Factory Tour the next day. If your husband enjoys aviation, the Museum of Flight at Boeing field is a "must see" It is at a different Boeing facility than the factory tour. The Museum of Flight is located south of downtown Seattle. I would do the Boeing factory tour in the morning and the Museum of Flight in the afternoon. You aren't far from the airport after the Museum of Flight and I would spend that night at an airport area hotel rather than backtracking to Everett.

Mentioned in this post
Anacortes
Anacortes
Fidalgo Island, WA
The Museum of Flight
The Museum of Flight
5,986 Reviews
Seattle, WA
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Everett
Everett
Washington
Houma, Louisiana
Level Contributor
52 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sightseeing between Burlington and Seattle

Thank you so much for the insight. I did not realize the 2 tours are so far apart. I think I have a plan now!

seattle
Level Contributor
1 post
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sightseeing between Burlington and Seattle

If I was looking for something to see and do, I would follow Highway 20 at least the Ross Lake area, so very beautiful place. Plan correctly, take the Skagit tour!!

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,439 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sightseeing between Burlington and Seattle

If it was me, I'd ferry to Anacortes, drive to Deception Pass then down Whidbey. I'd stop in Langley briefly, but spend the night in Mukilteo, possibly at the excellent Silver Cloud Hotel that sits over the water near the ferry terminal - https://www.silvercloud.com/mukilteo/ . Have dinner next door at Ivar's - https:/…mukilteo-landing - and visit the cute Mukilteo lighthouse, sitting next to the ferry terminal and to a cool driftwood-covered beach. gardyloo.us/wp-content/…20140531_3Ha.jpg

The hotel even has a shuttle that will take you to the Boeing tour center if you don't want to drive. You could do the Boeing tour in the morning, then drive south through Seattle to the Museum of Flight, if you want a serious aviation day. Map - https://goo.gl/maps/Q5LJtCki16n

Mentioned in this post
Langley
Langley
British Columbia, Canada
Silver Cloud Inn Redmond
Silver Cloud Inn Redmond
354 Reviews
Redmond, WA
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
The Museum of Flight
The Museum of Flight
5,986 Reviews
Seattle, WA
Port Townsend...
Level Contributor
3,804 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sightseeing between Burlington and Seattle

I am thinking that since the original thread was two years ago, this trip is already over......

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,439 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Sightseeing between Burlington and Seattle

>> I am thinking that since the original thread was two years ago, this trip is already over...... <<

Oh good grief. Never mind.

Reply to: Sightseeing between Burlington and Seattle
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted