We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dazed & Confused!

Port Aransas, Texas
11 posts
Dazed & Confused!

We are in the process of planning a June trip to Seattle and want to include one of the following beautiful locations: Whidby/Langley, Orcas Island or San Juan Island. PLEASE don't respond to my request by advising me to do some research online. That is all I have been doing 24/7 for the past few weeks! Spoke with a nice gentleman at San Juan Visitor Center. He did a wonderful job at selling me on that island. Can't reach the Visitor Center at Orcas but had a great visit with the Innkeeper at DreamStayOrcas.com. The homes that would work for us on Orcas through that rental company are near the ferry landing. If we choose Orcas - is that a good location for first visit? ALL of the areas look and sound AMAZING and we are simply just overwhelmed and confused about which to choose! We will have 5 nights to spend - and hope to do day trip to the island we don't choose as "home base." There will be a minimum of 6 of us (all adults) and possibly 10. We would like a beautiful water view, town with nice laid back feel that includes local artisans, farmers market, and not too "touristy" yet has things to do. Have narrowed it down, we think, between Whidby/Langley, Orcas & San Juan. We are coming from Texas where our little beach town is recovering from direct hit from Hurricane Harvey. All ideas (other than advising me to search the internet haha) are much appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

14 replies to this topic
Eastsound...
Level Contributor
97 posts
43 reviews
1. Re: Dazed & Confused!

The ferry landing is about 20 minutes from our only real town, Eastsound. Check out the rentals at Cherie Lindholm real estate. They have a nice website and lots of choices all over the island. We have a weekly farmers market, lots of artists, a nice little town, a great state park (Moran) and lots of things to do. Oh, and beauty everywhere.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
256 posts
8 reviews
2. Re: Dazed & Confused!

Ok, I'll be specific about on line research. Use YouTube. That way you can actually see each location.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
981 posts
20 reviews
3. Re: Dazed & Confused!

Orcas or San Juan are great choices (we prefer Orcas, just cause ...). So long as you have a car, any location on either island is fine. While we like staying in Eastsound, for the convenience of walking to it's shops, pubs, and restaurants - we also have enjoyed stays in Air BnB's with varying water views (both high above the water but with sweeping views of one or more channels, or right on the water) all around the island. There are both of these types of properties near the ferry landing. Other areas we've stayed and enjoyed: Deer Harbor area, West Sound, Olga area, and between Doe Bay and Sea Acre. Good luck finding the right place - pretty in-demand that time of year. ... and there are gorgeous homes/cottages all around the island.

Edited: 20 January 2018, 13:41
Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
5,822 posts
46 reviews
4. Re: Dazed & Confused!

I wouldn't stay at the ferry dock-- too busy and touristy. It wouldn't be terrible, just not ideal. Look at vrbo.com. When you narrow it down tell us where your choices are and we can help.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
11,718 posts
21 reviews
5. Re: Dazed & Confused!

Whidbey Island is not in the same league as the San Juans. If you want the island experience, pick either Orcas or SJI. You will be very happy, either way, so don't stress too much over which to choose.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,693 posts
8 reviews
6. Re: Dazed & Confused!

Whidbey and the San Juan’s are very very different. Whidbey having the Bridge to the mainland gives it access to the mainland and the Island is huge so does have lots of things to see and do. And if you wanted a daytrip off of the Island that makes it a good choice. I was just there last week for a few days. I think that the San Juan’s are much more unique and since you can only get to them by air or boat you are talking a real Island experience. If I had to choose between for a first time experience and didn’t mind dealing with the ferries I would certainly choose the San Juans.

Both Orcas and San Juan Island are good choices. Orcas has better hiking if that interests you and not as flat as San Juan. I really like Friday Harbor. It can get very busy in Summer, but in June should not be that bad. The Islands are drier than most of Western Washington, but that does not mean that it will not rain in June. For that reason I personally would pick what you might consider the nicest accommodation. I agree that if you have positive reviews on any of these listings you really can’t go wrong.

Port Aransas, Texas
11 posts
7. Re: Dazed & Confused!

Thank you all for your help! Fell in love with the look of Mariner's Dream & Waveside Dreams - we could all be on same property by renting these. They are apparently right by the ferry landing. Also found availability at Rosario Resort Residences.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,693 posts
8 reviews
8. Re: Dazed & Confused!

I I stayed once at Rosario and was not a good experience due to noisy neighbors and management not wanting to do anything about it so we left a day early with no refund or offer of other options. That was my one and only experience and that was many many years ago. The other properties look great although I have no experience with them. If they are not right at the area around the ferry landing, which at least one seems not to be it looks prey sweet.

Eastsound...
Level Contributor
97 posts
43 reviews
9. Re: Dazed & Confused!

As long as you have a car staying near the landing would be ok because after about 5 minutes there there's nothing to do. Plus no useable beach nearby. Really limits you.

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
5,822 posts
46 reviews
10. Re: Dazed & Confused!

The cottage does look really nice, and since your group size is going to limit you, it might be a good choice. And you said you'd want to day trip to SJI--it would certainly be convenient to the ferry landing. And so while the ferry landing wouldn't typically be an area I'd recommend, it does sound like it might be a good choice here. I see the cottage is 50 steps down, so it sounds like you'll be insulated from the traffic, and the ferries could be fun to see go in and out. Rosario is a pretty good location; it's great if you know you'll use Moran St Park, and the proximity to Eastsound, where most of the restaurants are, is pretty good.

Reply to: Dazed & Confused!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted