We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry from Anacortes to Sidney cancelled?

maryland
Level Contributor
164 posts
11 reviews
Ferry from Anacortes to Sidney cancelled?

Hi All,

Received this message this afternoon from the Washington State Ferry system:

"Ana/Sidney B.C. - Service Cancelled Thurs. 8/23 through Wed. 8/29

Due to urgent motor repairs on the M/V Hyak (one of the domestic San Juan Islands vessels), all international Sidney, B.C. sailings from tomorrow, August 23 through August 29 are cancelled so the Chelan can be reassigned to the domestic route. We apologize for the inconvenience this cancellation causes, and will provide updates on the restoration of international service as they become available.

Your alternate routes are between Swartz Bay and Tsawwassen (Vancouver B.C.) on B.C.

Ferries, or between Victoria B.C. & Port Angeles on the Black Ball Ferry Line."

We have reservations on 8/29 for the ferry from San Juan Island to Sidney, and then from Sidney on to Tsawwassen.

So if the ferry from San Juan Island to Sidney is cancelled, what are my options for getting to Vancouver, BC that day? Will I have to take the ferry from San Juan Island back to Anacortes and then drive to Vancouver? Is that my only option? And will I even be able to get a reservation on the ferry back to Anacortes at this point?

Thanks in advance! (Also posted this question in the Vancouver Island forum)

3 replies to this topic
Metchosin, Canada
Level Contributor
1,335 posts
608 reviews
1. Re: Ferry from Anacortes to Sidney cancelled?

wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/schedule/bulletin.aspx

You answered your own question.

You could go down to Whidbey Island then take the ferry to Port Townsend vicinity, then Port Angeles to Victoria and then one of three terminals to one of two terminals near Vancouver.

Seattle, Wa
Level Contributor
5,832 posts
49 reviews
2. Re: Ferry from Anacortes to Sidney cancelled?

For a reservation back to Anacortes you just have to try at 7 am PT 2 days before and cross your fingers. The broken ferry will cause a lot of inconvenience to many. Another option would be to leave your car at the Anacortes ferry dock and walk on--then you can get any ferry you want. Either rent a car on SJI, if you need it (not everyone does) or use the shuttle, or taxis/tours.

maryland
Level Contributor
164 posts
11 reviews
3. Re: Ferry from Anacortes to Sidney cancelled?

Thanks! I was able to book an 11am ferry back to Anacortes, but will try for the 8am 2 days before when spots released.

Reply to: Ferry from Anacortes to Sidney cancelled?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted