We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling 14 states in the United States

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
13 posts
31 reviews
Traveling 14 states in the United States

We are going to be traveling cross country to Wisconsin, Minnesota, North and South Dakota, Montana, Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming, Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois and Indiana. If anyone can please tell us the best places to visit besides Mt. Rushmore, Badlands, Yellowstone NP, etc. we would greatly appreciate the input as well as inexpensive places to stay along the way and any eateries would be nice. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated. We have mapped out quite a bit on our own but being unfamiliar with the areas, we can use all the help we can get and THANK YOU!

7 replies to this topic
Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
8,320 posts
329 reviews
1. Re: Traveling 14 states in the United States

best to post this in the road trips forum... once you get a route nailed down, post in the state forums.......

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
13 posts
31 reviews
2. Re: Traveling 14 states in the United States

Thanks!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,667 posts
146 reviews
3. Re: Traveling 14 states in the United States

We did a somewhat similar trip a few years ago, WI to CO, then into the southwest. There will be stretches states like South Dakota, Iowa and Minnesota that there's not much to see and do, so just accept that. However, in SD when you're at Mount Rushmore, also allow enough time to see Custer State Park. It's glorious enough to compare to a national park. We also stopped at the Herbert Hoover Museum in West Branch, Iowa. It's just a bit off I-80 and very interesting. He was prominent during some of our most compelling historic times.

I do agree posting in the road trip forum will get you more help. BTW, you didn't mention WI in your list of states, yet you posted here. Also, out of curiosity, what are your general plans. If you're from PA, are you driving the entire way and back? And if so, how much time are you allowing?

WI
Level Contributor
6,173 posts
117 reviews
4. Re: Traveling 14 states in the United States

FTG it does say WI as the first state up above, I missed that too in my first perusal ;-)

Well if you go through Osseo, WI off of I-94 Norske Nook pie is a must.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,667 posts
146 reviews
5. Re: Traveling 14 states in the United States

OOH! Thanks Hatch. Stop at Norske Nook and throw a pie at me.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
13 posts
31 reviews
6. Re: Traveling 14 states in the United States

Thank you so much for the input. Yes, we are driving both ways. Taking 2 months or more to really see as much as we can. Already had Custer State Park on the "to see" list. Thanks again!

WI
Level Contributor
6,173 posts
117 reviews
7. Re: Traveling 14 states in the United States

I'm pretty sure they'd taste good that way too FTG...but I don't think they're a pie throwing place....I've heard of bun throwing places though.

Oh and speaking of SD a must place for me is always Sylvan Lake and the Needles Highway.

Reply to: Traveling 14 states in the United States
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Black River Falls