We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Los Angeles to Green Bay

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
31 posts
116 reviews
Driving Los Angeles to Green Bay

A native Californian, my son loves the Packers!! He got tickets for the December 3, 2017 game at Lambeau. We have decided to drive from Los Angeles to Green Bay for an extended weekend - Yes, I know we're crazy. We would appreciate any tips on places to eat along the way and back or places from which we should stay away. We are pretty familiar with Nevada and Utah, but have never ventured further by car. In addition, any tips with regard to the extent to which the speed limit is enforced along the way, would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much for your help and insights! - Go Pack, go!!

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
12,010 posts
63 reviews
1. Re: Driving Los Angeles to Green Bay

How long can you extend your weekend? Do you plan to drive straight through and hope you don't run into bad weather in the mountains or anywhere east of the Rockies where you could encounter snow and or ice?

To answer your question I suggest grabbing food at whatever gas station you stop to fill up. Unless you can plan a "quick" two week cross country drive you won't have time to stop anywhere else.

Do you plan to arrive in Green Bay on game day and leave town right after the game? The reason I ask is Green Bay is a small town so lodging is difficult to come by on game weekends.

Trip advisor has a road trip forum where you could ask your questions about where to stop and where to avoid, but be prepared to receive a lot of flack about your plan. Here is the link. https:/…ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Trips.html

Edited: 19 October 2017, 23:33
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
31 posts
116 reviews
2. Re: Driving Los Angeles to Green Bay

Dear przyk:

Yes, I'm sure we will get flack for our plan, but my son doesn't have a lot of vacation days so we're going to hope for the best with regard to the weather and make it through. Its a Sunday game and we are leaving on Friday afternoon. Yes, we plan to drive straight through and already have reserved a hotel in Appleton for Saturday and Sunday. We will return early Monday morning. Thanks for your help!!!

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
12,010 posts
63 reviews
3. Re: Driving Los Angeles to Green Bay

Good luck. Do you have your route planned?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
31 posts
116 reviews
4. Re: Driving Los Angeles to Green Bay

Thanks! I've printed the directions from google maps but if you have any other suggestions, we'll take them. Thanks again!

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
12,010 posts
63 reviews
5. Re: Driving Los Angeles to Green Bay

I will write my suggestion on the road trip forum. Others may weigh in. I am certainly no expert at driving out west, but I know what I would do subject to input from others.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
31 posts
116 reviews
6. Re: Driving Los Angeles to Green Bay

Thanks again!

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
90 posts
58 reviews
7. Re: Driving Los Angeles to Green Bay

If you have rwd car I would say don't do it. But if not just be safe when you hit snow or icey highways. I was looking to get tickets for the Vikings Packers game in December but the weather is to unpredictable around that time. My drive is only 11 hours each way but I have to go through North Dakota and Minnesota. Your route looks better.Just hope the weather is good and no highways get shut down.

Fish Creek...
Level Contributor
110 posts
28 reviews
8. Re: Driving Los Angeles to Green Bay

I have made this trip on several occasions. You will need to average 50 mph to get there not counting for gas, food, and bathrooms. You will be humping it!

Through Utah speed limit is 80. Nobody seemed to care at 90, but I would think 100 would be a problem.

Colorado mtns at 80 mph no issue if roads are clear.

Western Nebraska is an issue since Colorado is a legal weed state, and Nebraska is very tough on out of state drivers making weed runs to Colorado. Be careful west of Kearney and stay with traffic. 80-85 no problem rest of Nebraska but work your way with the fast traffic.

Iowa and WI are good for 8 to 10 over, anymore and you will get a ticket.

You don't have time to worry about food. Loves truck stops are clean and all laid out the same. Gas up, pee, grab food and go.

When you get to lambeau park on Ridge Road in a front yard, use the $20 section. Walk to Hinterland and have am IPA and wait for the paint to catch up to the car!

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
12,010 posts
63 reviews
9. Re: Driving Los Angeles to Green Bay

Most people on the Road Trip forum including me recommended a more southerly route, I -40 / 44 to avoid potential for worse weather through the mountains and plains.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
31 posts
116 reviews
10. Re: Driving Los Angeles to Green Bay

Thanks to Donald, 941 Bruceh and przyk - especially 941 for the specific rode speeds!! przyk is right, it was suggested by several that we take the southern (I-40) route and even though it might take longer, we're going to take that up. But if the weather hold, we might take your advice coming home depending on the weather. Thanks so much for all your good advice, it is very much appreciated!! As my son said after reading all the posts, "When else would we take such an adventure!" Will let you know how it turns out. Keep your fingers crossed for good weather!!!

Get answers to your questions about Green Bay
Recent Conversations