We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I'm a local - if you have any ?'s - happy to try to help

Which La Crosse hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
LaCrosse
Level Contributor
41 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
I'm a local - if you have any ?'s - happy to try to help

Hi - I love tripadvisor. Big fan. I wanted to post in the LaCrosse forum that I'm a local resident and would be happy to try to answer any travel questions to the area. I'm a mom of young / tween kids and I travel budget friendly. Feel free to send me a message or post if you have any questions.

Edited: 26 May 2011, 12:50
Plano, TX
Level Contributor
39 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I'm a local - if you have any ?'s - happy to try to help

Thanks for the invite. We are traveling from Chicago to Door County, WI in mid-June. We will take a couple of days to do Chicago and travel up to Door County. Have you done that before? What are the sites, tastes, and experiences that we shouldn't miss? We are also budget-minded, enjoy natural beauty instead of tourist traps, and are not athletic. I have my eye on the Chicago Botanical Garden.

We will then travel from Door County to LaCrosse. What should we experience enroute or in LaCrosse?

LaCrosse
Level Contributor
41 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I'm a local - if you have any ?'s - happy to try to help

In LaCrosse, there are several things that pop up in my mind. The most well known visitor spots are: Grandad's Bluff and Riverside Park. Grandad's Bluff is a fantastic scenic overlook of the city. Riverside Park is a great view of the Mississippi River. Not much in the park for activities, just a good ole fashioned park with lots of benches facing the river. On some summer nights, they offer band concerts. In the corner of the park, near the large Hiawatha statue, three rivers join (Black River, LaCrosse River, & Mississippi). There is a riverboat called the LaCrosse Queen which offers 1+ hour cruises which are nice but a bit pricey. Other popular LaCrosse destinations are: The Shrine of Guadalupe (about 10 miles out of town), Historic downtown LaCrosse walking and looking at the 100+ year old buildings and shops (definitely hit the ice cream shoppe ' the Pearl') and the lesser known St. Rose convent tour which you don't have to be Catholic to love. It was featured on 60 minutes years ago. That's all that pops off the top of my head. Sorry, I don't know much about Door County.

San Diego...
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: I'm a local - if you have any ?'s - happy to try to help

Hello,

We are from California We will visit La Crosse in a couple of days. what is your suggestion about some good local food?

Many thanks

LaCrosse
Level Contributor
41 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I'm a local - if you have any ?'s - happy to try to help

If you are going to be in the downtown area, here are most people's favorites:

Upper price & atmosphere restaurants - Waterfront, Freight House, & Piggy's

Casual dining - Buzzard Billys Flying Carp Cafe (cajun & misc), Diggers, & Fayze's

Seeing you are from California, I'm going to assume you are used to paying a little more and I would suggest going to dinner at Freight House or Piggy's. They both have a nice menu & are a bit historic in the woodwork / atmosphere. My personal favorite in downtown LaCrosse is Freight House. I love that it's in an old railroad building and I love the bar. I believe both places have web sites to check out. Piggy's has a nice wine establishment next door I believe called the Wineguyz.

Before or after dinner, I would suggest taking a drive through Riverside park - 1-2 blocks from each restaurant. You can sit on a bench and watch the Mississippi River.

I hope this helps!

Nancy

LaCrosse
Level Contributor
41 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I'm a local - if you have any ?'s - happy to try to help

P.S. - very casual idea - if you are on the Northside of LaCrosse - Edwardo's pizza wagon has wood fired pizza which is fairly good, as well as fantastic cheese curds ping pong ball size. Wisconsinites LOVE our batterfried cheese curds!

La Crosse, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I'm a local - if you have any ?'s - happy to try to help

Don't forget about DIgger's Sting - they have the best steaks in town! Another riverboat worth mentioning is the Mississippi Explorer, best sightseeing boat in the area.

Orlando
Level Contributor
57 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I'm a local - if you have any ?'s - happy to try to help

HI. I'm heading to Chicago from Florida for a July wedding and want to explore Door County after. Where should we stay? I was thinking we'd drive north of Chicago no more than four hours and find a home base somewhere on the waterside. We love nature but also like exploring the towns and some nightlife. We don't like very touristy, crowded activities and we are not traveling with children.

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,133 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I'm a local - if you have any ?'s - happy to try to help

Keep in mind Door County is touristy/busy in the summer and there will be lots of kids but I always find no matter the preference you can make it work and be enjoyable and fun. You can pick your lodging then accordingly to to what suits your preferences. www.doorcounty.com to breakdown the specific lodging into more what you're looking for and go from there. Check reviews of places you'd consider. Check the Door County forums on here for more input on the feel of certain towns and what they offer or glean more info. from www.doorcounty.com itself. Also re-posting in the Door County forum will attract more people to answer as this is in the LaCrosse forum. There is so much to offer in Door County. Both sides have water, one is the Lake Michigan side and the other is the inland (bay) side. doorcounty.com/plan-your-trip/interactive-map

www.wisconline.com/counties/door/map.html

It's not bad driving around Door County so you can pick your favorite spot and work with it.

Ephraim is a charming town and offers nice waterfront lodging. It's a dry town. It borders Peninsula State Park.

On the other side of Peninsula State Park is Fish Creek with the famous White Gull Inn (for their cherry stuffed french toast).

There's Egg Harbor, Sister Bay, Bailey's Harbor and more towns along the way on both sides (see map)

here's brochures of things of interest for you to peruse:

www.doorcounty.com/plan-your-trip/brochures

touristy might include: fish boils so you may avoid those if that's not your cup of tea.

The parks will be full of tourists but they're beautiful--some to note: Peninsula State Park, Cave Point Cty. Park, Whitefish Dunes....and many more.

There's wineries and orchards and outdoor activities abound both on land/water.

Hopefully this gives you a start.

Edited: 27 June 2011, 13:20
Ames, Iowa
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: I'm a local - if you have any ?'s - happy to try to help

Hello,

I am going to Twin Lakes in Mid July with my boyfriend for Country Thunder and am looking for a relatively cheap place to stay for 4-5days. Any recommendations?

Thank you!

Boulder
Destination Expert
for Boulder
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I'm a local - if you have any ?'s - happy to try to help

Our family is road tripping from Boulder, CO to Door County. We will have spent the previous day in Badlands National Park. After an 8 hour drive day, we will be coming in Friday early evening to the La Crosse area. Any suggestions about where to stay or what to do? I understand that Wiscon's Amish community is centered around Cashton. Worth seeing? If need be, we can push farther into Wisconsin before stopping.

We will have a couple of hours on Saturday to spend seeing some Wisconsin sights because we don't have to be in Door County until late afternoon. I especially would like to see a cheese curd factory but we are open to almost anything!

Get answers to your questions about La Crosse