We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

April visit

Illinois
Level Contributor
215 posts
41 reviews
April visit

My husband and I will be visiting Lake Geneva for a few days in April. I have visited once before but he has not. We will be there during the week but I'm hoping to visit a winery, do some shopping, and eat some yummy local restaurants. What are your favorite restaurants for breakfast and lunch and an nice dinner out? Are there wineries open for tasting? I have visited the Studio winery. Are there others? If it's warm enough would there be any place to rent bikes and go for a scenic ride?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
555 posts
169 reviews
1. Re: April visit

I think the Apple Barn Winery just outside of Elkhorn stays open year round. However, since you are coming during the week I would call first to check. Appeltreow Winery in Burlington doesn't usually open until May, but I think they take appointments during other times of the year. Appeltreow is a winery and a distillery producing wine and spirits, so it's fun and different. Again, I would call first. Just a note: These wineries, as well as many others in the area, use local fruits to make their wine. Therefore, you should not expect a grape-type vintage. But still good.

The only place I know of in the area that rents bikes is the Pedal and Cup outside of Lake Geneva, but it doesn't usually open for the season until around Memorial Day. If you find a place to rent, the White River Trail would be a good place for April weather. It's about a 20-mile trail from Elkhorn to Burlington on an old railroad bed so there would be crushed gravel rather than mud if it's rainy. Here's a link: dnr.wi.gov/topic/parks/name/whiteriver/

Here's Lake Geneva's website http://www.visitlakegeneva.com/

It has more wineries than I have listed, as well as activities, events and restaurants. It may give you some ideas.

Edited: 07 March 2017, 15:28
Downers Grove...
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
2. Re: April visit

Definitely go to Simple for breakfast or lunch and Medusa's for dinner. Chop House or Brissago at Grand Geneva is also top notch.

Illinois
Level Contributor
215 posts
41 reviews
3. Re: April visit

Thank you for the info and for the restaurant suggestions. Pedal and Cup will not be open yet so we'll skip biking and visit some wineries and shops.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
555 posts
169 reviews
4. Re: April visit

I did some checking and the La Grange General Store and Backyard Bikes in Whitewater is open. Whitewater is about a 25 minute drive north and west of La Geneva on Rt. 12 and is in the southern portion of the Kettle Moraine Forest...a beautiful area for hiking and biking. Here's the link:

http://www.backyardbikes.com/

midwest
Level Contributor
229 posts
5. Re: April visit

I second Simple for breakfast or lunch.

Whitehouse, Ohio
Level Contributor
1 post
114 reviews
6. Re: April visit

We were just there for the weekend. I agree Simple is a good choice for breakfast, also Joni's Diner. We did visit Studio Winery, and they have good wines. We also visited the Lake Geneva Brewing Company for some craft beer. For fine dining I would suggest the Hunt Club. Wonderful food. If you like ribs I would go to Mars Resort. Decor is rather outdated but the food is good and the ribs were great.

7. Re: April visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2018, 09:18
Get answers to your questions about Lake Geneva