We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic Float Trips--Solitude or Barker-Ewing....or other?

Which Jackson hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
996 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Scenic Float Trips--Solitude or Barker-Ewing....or other?

We'd really appreciate your input as to "the best" scenic float trip on the Snake River. It will just be my husband and myself in early September. Also, do you suggest we book the earliest time they have? Thank you so much!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
687 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scenic Float Trips--Solitude or Barker-Ewing....or other?

I've been on float trips with several of the companies. They are all good. But each company is on a specific part of the river, and that is where the difference lies. When you communicate with the float companies ask them what stretch of the river you will be on and do something that is in the heart of the park. I do recommend the early morning floats because of the possibility of seeing bald eagles at sunrise. We have seen an eagle every time we've gone first thing in the morning.

Alpharetta, Georgia
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scenic Float Trips--Solitude or Barker-Ewing....or other?

We are also interested in float trips (and also whitewater trips), but would like specifics. "The heart of the park"--what does that mean exactly? Does anyone know which float companies offer this stretch? Most don't provide maps, and if they do, it's difficult to determine where their float trips are unless you are familiar with the area. Hopefully someone reading this forum will have some knowledge of the area, or at the very least past experience so we don't have to make a gazillion phone calls!

We'll be there (Signal Mtn Lodge) June 24-26, then heading to YNP, and are counting the days!

Thanks a bunch!

Susan in Alpharetta, Georgia

North Carolina
Level Contributor
687 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scenic Float Trips--Solitude or Barker-Ewing....or other?

When I said the "heart of the park," I meant it is important to float with someone who stays entirely within the park. To my knowledge, there are three outfitters who float entirely within the park... Solitude, Barker-Ewing, and Triangle X. I have not used Solitude, but I preferred Triangle X to Barker Ewing.

https:/…consumer.htm

Alpharetta, Georgia
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scenic Float Trips--Solitude or Barker-Ewing....or other?

Thanks!! That's exactly the info I needed! There are so many different companies that it gets sort of overwhelming to weed through them all. Thank goodness for message boards!

Susan

North Carolina
Level Contributor
687 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scenic Float Trips--Solitude or Barker-Ewing....or other?

I know you'll have a great trip in beautiful Wyoming! One of my favorite things to do after the sunrise float trip is to go to Dornan's at the Moose exit (where most of the companies pick up their passengers). Dornan's has an outside grill and picnic tables with an incredible view of the Tetons. Pancakes and bacon outdoors after an invigorating ride down the Snake (maybe even cold... stick a pair of gloves in your pockets just in case)!

USA
Level Contributor
174 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scenic Float Trips--Solitude or Barker-Ewing....or other?

Hi,

Did you actually go for scenic floating trip last year?

May I ask which company you chose and how was it?

I am very interested in the floating trip and am wondering if

it worths the money.... Thanks in Advance!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
687 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scenic Float Trips--Solitude or Barker-Ewing....or other?

Definitely worth the money. I wasn't there last year, but have been there three times in the past 10 years. I went with Triangle X the last time.

USA
Level Contributor
174 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scenic Float Trips--Solitude or Barker-Ewing....or other?

Hi,

One more question. Do you know if the floating trip offered by the Grand Teton/Colter Bay village is a 100% inside park one?

Is it good? It seems a little bit cheaper ....

North Carolina
Level Contributor
687 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Scenic Float Trips--Solitude or Barker-Ewing....or other?

I'm not sure which company is used by Colter. Sorry!

10. Re: Scenic Float Trips--Solitude or Barker-Ewing....or other?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2009, 23:18