We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking Trails (not a tour)

Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Hiking Trails (not a tour)

Planning a trip to Jackson Hole in August. My husband and I have never been before- looking for some trails to hike (1/2 or whole day) at a beginner to intermediate level. Not looking for a "tour" per say. Wanting to check out Jackson Hole, Tetons, or Yellowstone. Any tips or advice on where to find information is appreciated!

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
25,163 posts
112 reviews
1. Re: Hiking Trails (not a tour)

Welcome to Trip Advisor!

Here is a link to the National Park Service Yellowstone website. It lists a sampler of hikes in the main areas of Yellowstone and does give them a ranking of easy to hard.

www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/hiking.htm

If you are planning to spend some time in Yellowstone, you will want to stay in Yellowstone or a gateway city. Jackson is too far for effective touring of this huge park!

In Yellowstone there are always some shorter length Ranger walks/hikes if you want to hike with a group. They are free, you don't need to sign up ahead and usually pretty interesting.

www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/rangerprog.htm

Let us know any other questions you might have as you plan your trip.

Pam

Naples, Florida
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
Level Contributor
3,737 posts
79 reviews
2. Re: Hiking Trails (not a tour)

Here is a similar link for Grand Teton National Park Hiking.

I'd recommend Bradley/Taggart Lake to start, followed by Cascade Canyon and String Lake Loop and/or Hermitage to start. Buy bear spray!

www.nps.gov/grte/planyourvisit/hike.htm

Louisville
Level Contributor
541 posts
3. Re: Hiking Trails (not a tour)

For the Grand Tetons this website will provide far more details. This list of the top hikes in the park should be helpful in starting your list: tetonhikingtrails.com/grand-teton-top-10-hik… The site provides details for almost every day hike in the park. Let us know if you have any questions about any specific trails.

Jackson WY
Level Contributor
30 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: Hiking Trails (not a tour)

Grand Teton has a lot of great hiking and you are able to get to some great views of both the mountains and the valley with out covering many miles. I would recommend going early if you want to see Hidden Falls/Inspiration point, because this area get pretty busy in the middle of the day. Also if you want to avoid steeper trails check out hiking from Two Oceans lake to Emma Matilda lake. It is pretty flat but has great views of the entire Teton Range.

Franklin, Tennessee
Level Contributor
50 posts
18 reviews
5. Re: Hiking Trails (not a tour)

Check out Cascade Canyon. Take the boat across Jenny Lake but hike pass inspiration point where most tourist stop. It is so worth it and it is just a gradual up hill after reaching inspiration point. I have hiked a lot across North America and it is my most favorite. If you want to hike all the way to Lake Solitude it is about 13 miles round trip but if you just hike into the canyon you will see beautiful cascades coming down the canyon walls, wild flowers and perhaps even a moose.

6. Re: Hiking Trails (not a tour)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 May 2017, 02:17