We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking

Franklin, Tennessee
Level Contributor
50 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking

I realize this is a subjective question but I would love some personal feedback on your best experience. We are traveling to the Tetons the first week of July and I am trying to pick some new hikes. I think I have narrowed it to Death Canyon, Paintbursh Canyon or Marion Lake. Last year I hiked Cascade Canyon to Lake Solitude and loved it. I also hiked Granite Canyon. I loved the top 3/4 but didn't love the last part with bushes crowding the trail. I was wondering if you could go to Marion Lake on the Teton Crest trail and come down the Idaho side. I would like for my hikes to be day hikes. 16 miles in a day is as far as I have gone and maybe 3300 ft in elevation. Any input on your favorite hike would be appreciated. Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Death Canyon
Death Canyon
39 Reviews
Grand Teton National Park, WY
Cascade Canyon
Cascade Canyon
96 Reviews
Lake Solitude
Lake Solitude
47 Reviews
Idaho
Idaho
United States
Grand Teton Wildlife Safari in...
116 Reviews
US$109 per adult
Yellowstone National Park and...
86 Reviews
US$229 per adult
Yellowstone National Park Tour from...
130 Reviews
US$285 per adult
Free Cancellation
Naples, Florida
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
Level Contributor
3,659 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking

>I was wondering if you could go to Marion Lake on the Teton Crest trail and come down the Idaho side.

Yes you could by Fox Creek or preferably out Teton Canyon through Alaska Basin. Fox Creek is not very utilized and ends across the river from a gravel pit in Victor. The company is notorious for removing the bridge to cross.. it would be a long day out Alaska Basin / Teton Canyon to Alta/Driggs area though. That would exceed your 16 mile limit. More like 20 plus and elevation can go over 10,000 at points.

Death Canyon is a favorite and a must do. Paintbrush is nice to Holly Lake, but IMHO it doesn't hold a candle to Cascade or Death Canyon.

Check out Goodwin Lake on the east side of Jackson via Curtis Canyon .

fs.usda.gov/recarea/btnf/recreation/recarea/…

Since you referenced hiking over to the Idaho side, I should point out a couple of epic in and out hikes that you might enjoy via a quick 30-45 minute drive over the pass to Teton Valley.

The Darby Canyon Windcave (and you can also hike to the top of divide here to access the Teton Crest Trail and hike out Teton Canyon if you'd like). Accessible down Darby Canyon via a FS road.

greater-yellowstone.com/Teton-Valley/Darby-C…

Table Mountain (accessible via Teton Canyon).

greater-yellowstone.com/Teton-Valley/Table-M…

Mentioned in this post
Idaho
Idaho
United States
Driggs
Driggs
Idaho
Death Canyon
Death Canyon
39 Reviews
Jackson
Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY
Franklin, Tennessee
Level Contributor
50 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking

Thank you BlueBirdDay. I wanted to run this plan by you to see if you have any suggestions. I think I have talked my husband into doing an overnight backpacking trip. Day 1: take the tram and hiking to Marion Lake. Is there any trout in that lake? Can you catch and release there? Spend the night at the lake or maybe Death Canyon Shelf?? What is the night temperature first week in July? Can we do that without snow equipment? Day 2: Hike down Death Canyon.

Mentioned in this post
Death Canyon
Death Canyon
39 Reviews
Naples, Florida
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
Level Contributor
3,659 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking

That is a good hke - your only obstacle is getting camping permits. Both Marion Lake and Death Canyon shelf are highly coveted and from the looks of it, what can be reserved in advance are 100% filled for the first two weeks of July.

You can search for available reservations at recreation.gov - www.recreation.gov/wildernessAreaDetails.do…

Go to overnight & Mountain camping zones (3) to find sites.

Your only option would be to show up to a Rangers Office (before they open) the day before you start your hike and hope to get a walk in permit. They hold 1/2 of these back from the reservation system. You'll find yourself in line w/some folks that are most likely attempting the same thing.

A better option might be to reverse your hike. Hike into Death Canyon, spend the night in back end of the canyon and hike up to the shelf the next day back to Mariono and the tram (the good thing is you don't have to pay a down fee on the tram - only up;) .

Once when I spent the night on Death Canyon Shelf and hiked out Death Canyon the next day, I was pleasantly surprised at how nice the canyon campsites were - w/plenty of fresh streams around/shade beatiful views. There always seems to be availablility back there b/c I think everyone's goal is to get up high at the end of their day but not necessary IMHO, especially if it is windy!

Can't comment about the fish at Marion - sorry.

Mentioned in this post
Death Canyon
Death Canyon
39 Reviews
Louisville
Level Contributor
536 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking

You mentioned Death Canyon - have you considered going all the way up to Static Peak Divide? Although a very tough hike, this is my favorite hike in the park. From just above the Death Canyon Patrol Cabin, all the way to the divide, the views are outstanding. You can find more info on this hike here: tetonhikingtrails.com/static-peak-divide.htm

Mentioned in this post
Death Canyon
Death Canyon
39 Reviews
5. Re: Hiking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2017, 00:17