We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter transportation question YNP > JACKSON

Mukwonago, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
334 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Winter transportation question YNP > JACKSON

Trying to figure out most logical - fly in to BOZ, shuttle to Mammoth then to Snow Lodge; 4 nights there. Would like to visit the Elk Refuge outside of Jackson, so asking what might be the best option. Is there some sort of a shuttle from either Snow Lodge or Mammoth to Jackson and then, after a couple of days, up to BOZ. I am comfortable driving in snow (WI) but am wary of roads being closed, but wondering if there is a better option other than renting a car. THANKS

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
19,730 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter transportation question YNP > JACKSON

There is no shuttle from Snow Lodge/Mammoth to Jackson in the winter as the roads are closed between the two areas. If you want to go to Jackson from Bozeman, you'll need to rent a car in Bozeman and drive to Jackson thru Idaho. If the weather and road conditions are good, it's 4.5 hours from Bozeman to Jackson going through Idaho.

Mukwonago, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
334 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter transportation question YNP > JACKSON

DANG!! Thanks for the info Connie - don't like the info, but doesn't suprise me. Was hoping to get lucky

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
10,858 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter transportation question YNP > JACKSON

Not sure about the flight cost comparison- but look at going into Jackson, taking a tour to get into the Snow Lodge, using Xanterra to get to Mammoth and taking the shuttle to Bozeman? I agree that if you are only going to see elk at the refuge, spend your time in Yellowstone instead.

Edited: 13 May 2016, 12:22
Mukwonago, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
334 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Winter transportation question YNP > JACKSON

HI, that looks like a good idea. It's more $ than BOZ but makes sense and is a shorter flight. When you say use a tour to gegt to Snow Lodge, any specific suggestions? Thanks much for the info!!

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
10,858 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Winter transportation question YNP > JACKSON

https:/…snowmobiles-snowcoaches.htm

I have not used any of them.

You still have to get your lodging through xanterra.com for IN Yellowstone.

Mukwonago, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
334 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Winter transportation question YNP > JACKSON

yes, I understand that...... thanks

Spery, Iowa
Level Contributor
10,858 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Winter transportation question YNP > JACKSON

And the price of advice is a trip report ;)

Jackson WY
Level Contributor
30 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Winter transportation question YNP > JACKSON

Scenic Safaris offers shuttles from the Snow Lodge to Jackson. You will have to call them to get details but they do them in tracked or big over snow vehicles.

9. Re: Winter transportation question YNP > JACKSON

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2017, 00:16
Get answers to your questions about Jackson
Recent Conversations